POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Re: New 18 Gallon Tank

Post by POPPIT »

So i moved my guages more in the middle of the hot and cold sides as suggested and my readings were...Hot side temp 81F(27C) humidity 60% Cold side temp 74F(23C) humidity 84% Substrate warm side but away from the heat pads temp 72F(22C) humidity 79%...This was without the heat lamp on as i didn't need it today just the 2 4watt heat pads...I left both heat pads on last night and temp stayed at 80F(warm side) so i might only have 1 heat pad on overnight so the temp will drop to 18-19C (more natural i think)
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Post by Ginger »

I know what you mean - I used to have to do that with coconut fibre bricks, it's terrible isn't it! However I though that with a brick of moss you could expand all of it, then squeeze out the leftover and put it into a ziplock bag. It should stay fresh, I used to get a bag of already damp moss and it never went bad over the months that I had it. Also, regarding your moon light, I understand that you have a CHE right? I'm pretty sure they are designed solely to have hot bulbs in them. If you wanted to go for lighting only you may have to buy a different fixture (don't quote me on this please lol! :D)
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

I keep forgetting to look at the moss at bunnings lol...Puting the moss into a resealable bag should be ok as its airtight...I don't know what CHE stands for lol but i have a Zoo Med Deluxe Porcelain Clamp Lamp its says on the box for use with incandescent heat lamps, ceramic heat emitters and compact fluorescent UVB lamps umm so im not sure if that suits a moon light without heat...
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

CHE = ceramic heat emitter.

Your moonlight bulb will put out a little bit of heat. Not a lot, but a bit.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Oh ok no i dont have one of them...tiny bit of heat would be fine the only one i can find is the URS oz purple globe might have to read into how much heat that one puts out vs the infared one i currently have...
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

My apologies! I meant do you have a ceramic fixture - not a ceramic bulb. Oh well, wasn't too important to that note anyway. I have a reptile one 50 watt (the lowest cermaic fixture maximum I can find) purple bulb that is actually more of a blue-purple light, the box states it mimics natural moonlight. In my 10g I used it solely for heating, but for my 40g I use it mainly for viewing and supplementary heating. In an 18g like yours I would say it would put up by about 3-4 degrees on the warm side. Although that is just for mine, if you could give me some specifics of what you are looking at I might be able to give some more advice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

I want a light for night viewing with no heat..I dont care what colour it is as long as it doesnt show up to the crabs or it mimics moon light...
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

The only thing that I could think of at the moment is a LED light. If you went with a very low wattage reptile bulb it probably would not affect your heat too much.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

There used to be one called a moon glo
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Poppit has mentioned this appps, but she is seeking no-heat options.