POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Re: New 18 Gallon Tank

Post by POPPIT »

The only "night" light they had here was the URS Oz purple light...I read something online that it doesnt effect the normal drop of heat for natural night time temps but does put out some heat, it was a 40watt like my infrared light...I nearly went out today to buy one but then read on a reptile forum that the visibility is extremely poor with this light and as i wanted it purely for night viewing i decided not to get it...Im going to try keeping the infrared light on all night tonight and to keep the heat down a bit i unplugged one of the 4watt heat pads....I have read some conflicting information on hermit crabs seeing or not seeing infrared light so im unsure whether it will bother them...Some people have said they can actually see the infrared but doesnt seem to bother them....Have any of you had infrared issues with your crabs....All i know is that mine actually seem to like it.....Oh do the crabs need a day light, the lounge room lights are on however its not that bright during the day and sometimes the lights are off if watching a movie and its very dark then.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

Oh was it a heat one ginger, remembered the name, not much more :-)
Last edited by appps on 08 Jul 2015, 06:50, edited 1 time in total.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

Where are you keeping them? As in is it in a dark room at night?

If you are keeping them anywhere with lights on in your room then you will be able to view them just by the light they give off.

I actually cover mine at night because of the amount of light our house lights provide them.

Edited cause I just reread your last post.
Given a choice between a night light and a daylight bulb that provides UVA and UVB rays I'd go day every time. In things like turtles, not having that causes their shells to soften so can't imagine it's good for our crabs either.
Hardest part is that the rays don't travel well through glass apparently.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Post by POPPIT »

They are in the lounge room beside the tv and the tv is on nearly all the time except for a few hours from about 2 or 3am...I left the front of the tank uncovered and a space for the lamp...The dino shell crab whos active through the day too was having a ball last night digging holes and climbing the plants i seriously think he needs more sleep then he gets...i did notice the other two which are shyer didnt come out...probably came out when the tv went off and all was quiet...I had the 40w infrared on and one 4w heat pad and the temp fell as wanted to about 18-19C...I think i will just have the heat pads on overnight without the lamp and cover them completely as i know all 3 are active when i do that...