POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Heat Lamp Testing

Post by POPPIT »

Hi All...I bought this lamp and globe as i am getting a 2ft long tank 67ltr 18gal on the weekend...But as my temp has been low even with a heat pad in my current tank i thought i would clamp it on and see how it worked and how hot it gets...Last night at 10:30pm (no lamp just heat pad as normal) temp was 24C(75F)warm side 22C(72F)cool side the fire was on so i think our house was pretty warm..12pm today (just heat pad) warm and cool sides were 20C(68F) after attaching the lamp and waiting between 2-3hrs the temp went to 25-26C(77-79F)the cool side and substrate are about the same..big difference being the humidity while on the substrate slighty towards warm dide but close to the centre of the tank it read 77% however when moved to the cool end up top(normal spot) it read 58%...the temp has risen in the last 30 mins to 27C(80F) and cool side temp is now 25C(77F) and cool side humidity now reads about 56-57%...at least the humidity mid- warm side of the tank is in range...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Re: Heat Lamp Testing

Post by POPPIT »

I just thought of something to ask for all of you heat lamp users that dont have a timer thermostat...what time do you turn off your lamps if you do...i just turned mine off as its getting dark and want to have cooler temps overnight(like their real home would)...im just hoping the blankets and towels hold some heat in so the temp doesnt fall too quickly.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

Have you checked your temp at 2am? Or something very am? What it reads at midnight could be quite a few degrees higher than that 2-4am period.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

I haven't checked it at 2am or so...i can hear them scurrying around and try not to disturb them...I have a heat pad on 24/7 although in the mornings its usually 18-19C...