POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Maybe upgrading tank size so a few questions

Post by POPPIT »

Hi All....I have been looking at tanks for a while now as i know my tank is really too small for the 3 medium sized crabs i currently have (i could possibly be getting my friends 2 mediums as well)...i have found a couple of new glass tanks near me from a pet store...im either getting the 58ltr(15gal) at 50cmX33cmX35cm or the 67ltr(18gal) at 60cmX30cmX37cm...Im concerned about heat of all things and currently have a hermit heat pad possibly 5watt...I might get another heat pad but today i bought a Zoo Med deluxe porcelain clamp lamp (will include pics of what i mention) with a 40w infared spot globe i chose the globe only because of the lowest watts as i didn't want to fry my crabbies but dont even know if infared is ok for them....I really know nothing about heat lamps and was after advice on my purchase....also i see many fellow crabbers resting the light on top of the glass lid although mine comes with a clamp that attaches to the glass side of the tank so the light is a bit above the lid but is it safe to place directly on the glass lid....If anyone has this heat set up please share your info...Also if anyone has the tank sizes mentioned above what do you use for heat...Thanks in advance....just a note that i dont have nor plan on getting a thermostat at this stage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: Maybe upgrading tank size so a few questions

Post by appps »

I wouldn't run a heat lamp without a thermostat. You can pick them up so cheap on ebay.

Absolutely dont ever run a ceramic heat lamp without a thermostat if you ever go that way. Takes no time for a small tank to hit 50c

I've got a small tank here I would put 3 medium crabs in and it's 50cm wide x 29 deep. I don't think I'd go up to 5 in that size though. When looking for tanks, don't forget to give your local salvos store a try. You can often pick them up quite cheap second hand.

Can't help with heating it, I'm converting it just as a bit of a project but haven't got past emptying out the goldfish gravel yet :-). My plan however is to set it up with a mini ceramic lamp, how it will work remains to be seen :-)
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Re: Maybe upgrading tank size so a few questions

Post by POPPIT »

Hi Appps...I prefer not to buy electronic stuff off ebay unless they have an actual store i can visit...faults and warranties can be an issue...the thermostat at Best Friends pet store is over $100...i saw the ceramic globes there but the guy said they do get extremely hot...I am probably going to get a 2ft long tank glass with a lid brand new for $50...I think i read somewhere on here that you should have 3 gallons per crab the tank is 18 gallons so by rights should be ok for 6 unless i have read it wrong or is for small crabs who will grow anyway...I wanted to use the heat lamp i got only for daytimes i think as the temp is not that high where they are naturally from overnight...I will try and find a cheaper thermostat though....Good luck with your project setup hope all goes well :D