POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

My Crabitat

Post by POPPIT »

This is my current set up its only a small tank but i only have 1 tiny crab in it atm...Gynaveeve died and Rebel is buried in my plastic tank...Im wanting to get a new crab soon but there will be a total of 3 small crabs in there max at any one time...I am going to change the substrate tomorrow to play sand with a section of coir peat brick...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: My Crabitat

Post by appps »

Looking good :-). If you check out places like spotlight or the reject shop you can get some pretty cheap plastic ferns and things like that for flower arranging. Just don't get any that are fabric rather than plastic.

Adding some more foliage will also decrease the stress on your little guy at the moment as he won't feel so exposed. You want him to feel hidden away and safe.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

I did see some cheap plastic plants at the reject shop i think but didn't want to take away too much roaming space but i might add more around the igloo as thats where he likes to hide..he got stuck behind the plant in the corner once and i had to get him out lol....Thanks for the suggestion i will go plant hunting tomorrow.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

It doesn't really take away space because they climb on them. So it's a bit like putting a jungle gym for them :-)
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Very true...I haven't seen Gnome climb yet but i read that Aussies are suppose to enjoy climbing...
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

Ha ha, enjoy is an understatement :-). It makes them the houdinis of the crab world. The little beggars can even climb up the silicon where the tank is stuck together in the corners to escape :-)

If he is spending a lot of time in his hut that's a good indication he's feeling exposed. Poor thing won't have worked out yet a seagull isn't going to swoop down on him out in the open :-)
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

My Es and PPs both climbed the silicone...I actually had one escape that way when he was tiny (oh, Curly). I saw him scurry across the floor and almost squashed him thinking he was a bug...good thing I checked for sure beforehand!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Yes i have heard them climbing the silicone seals lol....cleaver little things...Oh Appps i never thought about them needing to hide from natural predators thats probably in their instinct....Omg Emmac very lucky you looked before squishing...
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

One other thing - your water bowls look like they have too much gravel in them. Your crabs need to be able to refill their shell water from those bowls. You can still leave a little gravel in them, but it's very important your crabs can get most, if not all, of their shell under the water.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

Good point Emma. I think a lot of people worry about drowning, but my crabs happily stay fully submerged and wandering around in their pool for an hour or more without coming up for air. They won't drown because the water is deep, only if they can't get out when they are done.
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011