POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Re: My Crabitat

Post by POPPIT »

Gnome was unable to climb out on his own so i had to add more gravel in case he went in at night...i would take some gravel out of the salt water pool and put him in so he could get his shell refilled...he didn't like the water much only having a bit of a wash and drink and wanted to come out again.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Post by Ginger »

Looks like a good setup Poppit, the only thing that I would add in would be more climbing material/second storeys. A quick point, I have found ALWAYS without fail that my crabs much prefer looking at shells without sand on them. Having an elevated platform/moss pit will give extra roaming space, keep the shells clean and increase humidity all in one. I love them, can't ever get enough (just today I bought another!) :) as appps said, cheap stores are your best friend here.

With the water/gravel concept, maybe a sloping type of gravel or mesh ramp would work a little better?
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

I like the idea of climbing mesh(where would i buy that?)as the gravel in the salt pool slides because the bottom surface is very smooth with little grip....I am looking at getting some crabs tomorrow if they have some or if they are getting a new lot in soon i would like to get them the day they arrive in the store....I actually made a second level with lego but it seemed to take up space rather than expand it....I wouldn't mind a mesh hammock thing as a shell shop(if the crabs don't get tangled in it)...In the wild the shells are probably pretty grotty so they are probably really glad to have it so good with your clean shell shop lol.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

You can get plastic mesh at craft stores in the US. People use it with yarn to make kleenex box holders and Christmas ornaments.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Oh lol Emmac my nan (who lives with us) makes them its called plastic canvas...ill keep that in mind to try and make a small ladder of some kind.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

I've used that mesh gutter guard stuff before. It works quite well and it's cheap
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Hmmm i wouldn't mind getting either type of mesh to maybe put on the back wall for a climbing feature...The new crabs i got today have no trouble getting in and out of the water dishes actually they were more so running through them...i might have to get a deeper pool depending how deep it is to them..will have a better look when they come up and wander around a bit more relaxed.