Questions about designing a terrarium.
Silverfaery
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Plants in the Terrarium

Post by Silverfaery »

Hello, I have another question for you all, if you don't mind?

I am in the process of setting up my first crabitat. I'm thinking about trying to plant some seeds in the crabitat, to see what will grow, and what the crabs like. I have looked at the safe and unsafe plant lists, but many plants are yet not on either list.

I already have a seed mix called "Omega-3 Chicken Forage Blend" from groworganic.com (http://www.groworganic.com/omega-3-chic ... gated.html), which contains several types of seeds for plants that chickens like to eat: Ryegrass, Flax, Buckwheat, Millet, Red Clover, Strawberry Clover, Alfalfa, Ladino Clover, and Broadleaf Trefoil. As far as I can tell, all of the seeds are listed as safe for crabs, except for the Broadleaf Trefoil, which I can't find good info on.

If Broadleaf Trefoil is the same plant as Birdfoot Trefoil, then it is possible that it contains oxalates, which I read may not be good for crabs (may interfere with calcium absorption). However, I have a feeling that relatively few of these particular seeds in the mix would germinate, and in such a low quantity would probably not pose a significant risk to my crabs. Thoughts?

Also, some of the seeds in this mix have a coating which is OMRI listed, called Nitro-Coat Organic. It contains rhizobacteria, calcium carbonate, and an organic adhesive (presumably to keep it on the seeds). I can find absolutely no mention of such a coating in relation to hermit crabs. I seriously doubt there would be enough of it to pose any risk to the crabs, but what do you guys think? I was thinking that, to be on the safe side, I could sprout the seeds outside of the crabitat, and then just transfer the sprouts into the substrate.

In addition to seeds, I am intending to plant some babies from my Airplane plant (also known as Spider plant). I know that the crabs will very likely eat and/or destroy many of the plants, but I am okay with this, as I'm primarily putting them there for the crabs' benefit anyhow. If any of the plants do thrive, I'd love it if they became yet another object in the crabitat that the crabs could climb on to reach upper levels!

I would appreciate any insight or advice you guys may have to offer me here. Thank you!

P.S. Please let me know if the link I've provided here is inappropriate for some reason! I can't think of any reason why it would be, but don't want to break the forum rules.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Plants in the Terrarium

Post by aussieJJDude »

I know for a fact the airplane plants - like bromeliads and tillandsia - have been used numerous times successfully in the tank. And spider plants are safe too, right now I have two growing in my setup! :)
I have had a bird mix seeds growing in my tank, but it was mostly made up of millet with a few that you mentioned. I even have a german crabber friend that has many plants which contain oxalates and the crabs have not been affected by them. In fact, she has had many successful breeding attempts! :)
I go by frog and reptile forums, if it is safe for them then most likely it would be safe for hermies too!
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Silverfaery
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 20

Post by Silverfaery »

aussieJJDude wrote:I know for a fact the airplane plants - like bromeliads and tillandsia - have been used numerous times successfully in the tank. And spider plants are safe too, right now I have two growing in my setup! :)
I have had a bird mix seeds growing in my tank, but it was mostly made up of millet with a few that you mentioned. I even have a german crabber friend that has many plants which contain oxalates and the crabs have not been affected by them. In fact, she has had many successful breeding attempts! :)
I go by frog and reptile forums, if it is safe for them then most likely it would be safe for hermies too!
Okay, good to know. Thanks for your input!
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

Never stop learning. Had no idea spider plant would work. I've got one in a pot out the back and it never crossed my mind it would work in their tank. Will have to transplant a couple baby ones growing in the air at the moment into my tank.

I've done the bromeliads before and they did last a long time but got a bit ratty looking.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
dk58
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10

Post by dk58 »

Can I plant the spider plant directly into the sand substrate?
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

You can, but they probably wont last long since it does not closely mimic soil like coconut fibre (EE) does. If you have used SW to saturate your soil so its sand castle consistency, your plant will not grow.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.