Yeiona
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

Is a 10 gallon big enough?

Post by Yeiona »

I've read that 10 gallons is the minimum, as long as you don't crowd the tank. But is that actually big enough? I mean, these crabs used to live in a huge environment. Is is humane to confine them to such a small area?
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65

Re: Is a 10 gallon big enough?

Post by blondy627 »

I think it depends on how many crabs you have, how big they are, and how well you use your space. 10 medium crabs in a 10 gallon with only one "level" is not a good thing. And if you think about it, no animal in captivity has the amount of room they would have in the wild.Think of a bird in a cage or a fish in a tank.

Bigger is always better! :D
Yeiona
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Yeiona »

But most fish are bred in captivity. They have never experienced anything else. All hermit crabs are taken directly from the wild.

Some crabbers let their crabs out of their tanks for a while each day. I didn't consider that. Still, it just doesn't sit right with me to keep a wild animal in a cage.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

blondy627 is correct when she states bigger is better, Regardless of the creature, and regardless of what size tank/cage one buys... it will never be the same as what they would have in their natural home.
Most fish may of been bred in captivity, but not all of them started life in a tank. Some fish regardless of species were from the seas/oceans/rivers... so this would depend on what angle one cares to look at it from.
Nobody is debating whether it is right or wrong or even humane, but replied to the question:
I've read that 10 gallons is the minimum, as long as you don't crowd the tank. But is that actually big enough? I mean, these crabs used to live in a huge environment.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Yeiona
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Yeiona »

Thank you. I apologize if it seemed like I was trying to start a debate. *|