mindytyson3
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 2
Total tanks: 1

Re: Newbie here!

Post by mindytyson3 »

Ok does hermit crabs eat algae discs? I have some but wanted to ask first. I know they eat all kinds of stuff but always have to ask..ha. Thanks. :D
Herman
mindytyson3
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mindytyson3 »

ladybug15057 wrote:mindytyson3 I have merged your posts again, please do keep these in the same thread.

On page one of this thread I mentioned about regular ocean/sea water that is for salt water fish tanks. This looks like an E hermie and they MUST have the proper ocean water mix to live. They are a more sensitive species than PP's and need more precise temps and humidity percentages as well.
ok i feel stupid but i am new so gotta ask...what does E mean?
Herman
abegie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 16
Total tanks: 2

Post by abegie »

ladybug is referring to the species. It appears from the picture you probably have an Ecuadorian "E". Its a little more difficult to care for than the more common PP/Caribbean/Purple Pincher species. As ladybug stated, having properly mixed ocean water mix is a must for them.
Owned by Wyatt, Virgil, James, Morgan, Bat, and Ed
mindytyson3
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mindytyson3 »

abegie wrote:ladybug is referring to the species. It appears from the picture you probably have an Ecuadorian "E". Its a little more difficult to care for than the more common PP/Caribbean/Purple Pincher species. As ladybug stated, having properly mixed ocean water mix is a must for them.

oh ok ha i feel stuppy! i wonder why it is more difficult? i will look hes kind up and read about him. Thanks. :D
Herman
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Ok does hermit crabs eat algae discs?
They can, but majority of crabbers now will not feed hermies any foods with ethoxyquin and/or copper sulphate in them... both of which are insecticides. Some will claim the amount is so small that it may not harm the hermies. But actual testing has not been done to know for a fact so it is just avoided in a hermies diet. (it is not permitted in human food)
I am sorry for the abbreviation, I as well as many others do use them. In hopes of helping in the future here is a link with many of the most common Acronyms used:

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Acronyms+
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
mindytyson3
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mindytyson3 »

ladybug15057 wrote:
Ok does hermit crabs eat algae discs?
They can, but majority of crabbers now will not feed hermies any foods with ethoxyquin and/or copper sulphate in them... both of which are insecticides. Some will claim the amount is so small that it may not harm the hermies. But actual testing has not been done to know for a fact so it is just avoided in a hermies diet. (it is not permitted in human food)
I am sorry for the abbreviation, I as well as many others do use them. In hopes of helping in the future here is a link with many of the most common Acronyms used:

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Acronyms+
ok thank you i won't do that then. i always find out what to feed before i do it.

well if not been tested i rather not..ha. ok then i will just leave it for my fish then...lol. thanks again.
Herman
mindytyson3
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mindytyson3 »

Ok if my hermit crab is a "E" then how long will he get or how big? I have read that they get 12 mm but that can't be right. Right? It said it was the smallest of the hermit crabs. Is there information I can read about them somewhere? Thanks!
Herman
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29

Post by ZuZu »

not sure where you can find how big they will grow, but I am sure its out there!
what I have observed from experience is they all grow at their own pace so it may be hard to find an "average growth" like my PPs are all diff. sizes, but when I got them they where nearly identical so it seems to depend on the crab more than it'll depend on the specise :D
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
mindytyson3
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mindytyson3 »

ZuZu wrote:not sure where you can find how big they will grow, but I am sure its out there!
what I have observed from experience is they all grow at their own pace so it may be hard to find an "average growth" like my PPs are all diff. sizes, but when I got them they where nearly identical so it seems to depend on the crab more than it'll depend on the specise :D

ok thanks! :D
Herman
mindytyson3
Zygote
Zygote

What kind of crab do I have?

Post by mindytyson3 »

I am confused on what kind of hermit crab I have. Its either a Ecuadorian or a Ruggie.

I have read that they are similar but not sure which one he is. I have attached a picture but not a good one. Right now my hermit is in a hole so can't get a good picture of him. It might be a long time before he comes out because not sure if he is moulting or in his purchase stress. Well thanks. :D

So far I have noticed no pokey dots on his body and he is tannish orange color. thats about it. Not sure about the eyes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Herman