What do you think is the best/cheap set up?

Questions about designing a terrarium.
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

What do you think is the best/cheap set up?

Post by blondy627 »

This has been weighing on my mind. When I went on vacation to OC, MD my two cousins (13 and 16 years old) insisted on getting crabs. At first they were told no, and then my grandma caved in and let them. They got them in a semi large critter keeper with gravel, fake palm tree, ect. They were so in love with them and handled them way too much. Now they're home, back in school, back in martial arts, ect and they're basically having my grandma take care of them. She makes sure they have food/water and will give them a spritz. And when I say food, it's just the home made food I made and possibly the commercial food fromt the board walk. No fruit, veggies, anything. I'm really worried about them in the critter keepers and was waiting for my grandma to get tired of this and just give them to me. But, she seems to be ok with taking care of them... so I decided I should get them proper living quarters. The problems are #1 I don't have the money to go all out and #2, they will not share a tank (they're brother and sister... can't share ^) ) which goes back to number one.

They each have 4-5 thimble to ping pong sized crabs. Mostly the thimble size. What would be the bare minimum you all think I should do? I'm thinking of seeing if I can get 2 10 gal tanks on craigs list and then Petsmart has a kit that says it's for a frog, but it's a mister bottle, thermometer, hygrometer, and UTH for $17. And maybe a brick of cocofiber each? My grandma likes her house on the chilly side! So I need to do something soon.
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: What do you think is the best/cheap set up?

Post by blondy627 »

I haven't heard back from anybody here, but just an update. My one cousin did get a critter keeper heater and the other is going to do the same, but Petsmart only had one in stock.