ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Re: Lid

Post by ZuZu »

Hi! I dont know if you've been told but your hermies should have a ten gallon tank if your not cosidering getting one already. For your Q, depending on where you live or the seasons is relevant. Getting a mesh lid might be a good idea for humid-hot summers, if you have hot humid summers a mesh lid will help. In the winter you should open it the lid a crack so they don't get too cold but still get some circulation. :D do that and your fine I've done it for years.
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Emeraldroots
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by Emeraldroots »

You know I found all those photos AFTER I posted that on accident =p. Zuzu. I have a 20 gallon tank which is empty atm because I am not ready to care for these critters yet. =) I have a mesh lid for it already. I used to keep my snake in there until I upgraded her to a 40 gallon tank.

Arizona is generally on the dry side. During monsoon season we get quite a bit of humidity though. ladybug you said you have a mesh screen on all of the tanks, a nylon layer, and then plexiglass? Is there a picture of it so I can get a better idea of how you use the plexiglass?

I might just skip the lid I linked here yesterday and go to Home Depot or something and have some plexiglass cut instead.

I was going to use an UTH with the setup. Do you just make a small hole in the screen and plexiglass etc and run the thermostat....thing?...down in that way? I assume make the hole small enough in the lid so you don't have a gaping hole in the lid. I read some instructions on this on I think the heating forum but it didn't mention if/how the lids were modified to accept the ..probe..? =).

Anyway thanks to all who have responded to my questions and those that continue to!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

The 55 gal tanks we have are fish tanks so I bought the screens for them and put another layer of nylon screen on top of it to make the holes smaller. (secured in places with black electrical tape) On those tanks since the screen lids fit over the top of the frame my hubby notched very carefully part of the frame top to make a little grove for the wire of the thermostat. (that I then use packaging tape to secure the wire with against the glass wall so the hermies cannot pinch the wire or climb it.) Where that piece of wire to the probe touches the notch he grooved out for me I put electrical tape around that part of the probe wire. This helps to prevent the lid from causing a wear mark in the insulation of the wire exposing the copper wiring underneath eventually.
On the 40 gal breeder (glass critter cages) we have they come with a screen already and there is a plastic perforated area on the top of the frame that can be poked out and a wire put through it and secured. The plexiglas I bought fits on top of the whole top frames of all the tanks & iso's. (hope that made sense)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.