Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Crabitats for Newbies

Post by Wai »

If you are a new crabber, post any questions you have about setting up your hermit crab tank, after going through the Crab Care section.
Wai
Jodi
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 0

Re: Crabitats for Newbies

Post by Jodi »

Hello, i have read through the care section (starting to see double) and found some incredible information that of course the pet store did not tell me. I still have some questions that seem very basic but i cant find answers too.
I have a 2ft glass tank and I live in qld. I have 3 med crabs.
I was using my 2ft aquarium light but have bought a UVB 10.0 reptile one bulb, is this right?
I am also using aquarium stones/gravel in the tank. is this ok or should i go and buy play sand from a hardware store? how often would the sand need replacing?
Should i always have food out for them or have "feeding time"?
do I need to have a sponge in both the salt and plain water containers (treated of course)?
Is it true that i can put a piece of fresh bamboo in the tank for them to eat and play? does it matter the type of bamboo?
Any link to the best kind of plants to put into the tank would be appreciated. Hope you can help, I am in love with them and want to get this right.
Jodi
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Sorry for the late reply!
Jodi wrote:I was using my 2ft aquarium light but have bought a UVB 10.0 reptile one bulb, is this right?
I would suggest replacing it with Exo Terra's Night Glo bulb. Heat sources should not emit bright light during night time, because hermit crabs need a day and night cycle.
Jodi wrote:I am also using aquarium stones/gravel in the tank. is this ok or should i go and buy play sand from a hardware store? how often would the sand need replacing?
Any substrate that does not support moulting is not ideal. Gravel is coarse and will scratch the soft bodies of freshly moulted hermit crabs; therefore it is not ideal. Smooth sand on the other hand, is moulter-friendly. You should replace or bake and wash the sand perhaps once a year. I'm not sure how frequently other crabbers here replace or clean their substrate, but I clean mine about once a year. The depth of the substrate should be at least double the height of your largest hermit crab.
Jodi wrote:Should i always have food out for them or have "feeding time"?
Hermit crabs are poikilothermic organisms ("cold-blooded"), so they have a much lower metabolism rate than "warm-blooded" organisms. Since their metabolism rate is low, it is literally impossible to overfeed them, so food should always be available in the tank.
Jodi wrote:do I need to have a sponge in both the salt and plain water containers (treated of course)?
I don't recommend sponges, because they provide great homes for harmful bacteria. Pet stores still use sponges, because they rely on info that is almost a decade old.
Jodi wrote:Is it true that i can put a piece of fresh bamboo in the tank for them to eat and play? does it matter the type of bamboo?
I've never heard of that one, but some bamboo species should not be placed in the tank. There are safer alternatives such as cholla and mopani wood.
Jodi wrote:Any link to the best kind of plants to put into the tank would be appreciated.
You can try growing the following plants: http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... aments.php, although the other Crab Crew are probably more knowledgeable on nutrition requirements than I am.
Wai
Jodi
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Jodi »

I just want to say thank you for answering my questions. I now have a tank with sand and some very happy crabs. One is changing shells almost daily and they are all running around and hanging and climbing. I wanted to ask about the light you suggested. Should this be on 24hrs a day and is it ok to have it on top of the glass lid, do they still get the benefit through the glass? The little guys also seem to empty (sometimes tip) their water bowls out daily. Is it ok for the sand to get this wet? thanks again, Jodi
hawtiebazil
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 10

Post by hawtiebazil »

Hi i have read the crab care about 3 times and i am still stuck on this
I want to put some sticks and branchs for them to play on in the tank but i don't know what type so is any other these ok. Eucalyptus, apple tree and bottle brush are any of them safe???
I am a very big on making stuff myself so is there any toys i can make them myself for them to play in i am allergic to coconut milk so it is hard to my the coconut house but is there something else i could use to make them????
also can i grow sprouts in the cornor of the tank????
also i need you to answer my question in the selecting section please

thank you so much
bye
hey everyone i can't wait until my 2 new family member come my first little hermit crabs i am going to name them salt and pepper i wonder if they will like my fighting fish???????????
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

As for selecting your hermit crabs, you should really wait until your tank is set up and you have the humidity and temperature nice and stable, along with all the items you need for their tank.

As to your choices of wood, Eucalyptus is definitely a No, it is a conifer and is an irritant to hermies.

Apple tree is a safe one.

Here is a website that lists safe and unsafe foods, as well as the different food groups you should feed your crabs to make sure they are healthy: http://hermitcrabcuisine.com/
I suggest bookmarking this first page, as once you get into the site, there aren't links back to the first pages (I have not found any).

Here is a list of safe and unsafe woods (not complete):http://www.epicurean-hermit.com/index.php?topic=10.0

I have read elsewhere that Apple has been found to be safe.

Even though you are allergic to coconut milk, that should not prevent you from being able to put a cocohut in your tank for your crabs to hide in. It's not like you'll be eating it! :P

Do get it all set up before you get the crabs, or you could end up losing them as fast as you get them :(
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Bookmarking Hermit crab Cuisine is a good idea for future references too. But in the upper right corner of the site one will notice the word 'main' in a black box. If one clicks it, it will take you back to the main start page.
A little reminder, if one does take items from outside to use in their tank and they are on the safe list, please also make sure that there has not been any pesticides/insecticides used in that area. (or fertilizers, and remember run off from the rains too)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
JamesW
Zygote
Zygote
Total tanks: 0

Post by JamesW »

Thanks For This,
It suits me just fine.
JamesW
jacevy
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6

Post by jacevy »

Hello.

Just wondering if the tank can be too big for the crabs?
I have a 40 gallon tank.
Would only having 3 crabs be ok?
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Lucky crabs! I don't think a tank could ever be TOO big for the crabs, as they can travel a mile or two in a day in the wild!
But for you, you may have a hard time finding them to watch them in a tank that size, but I am sure they would love it. Lots of room, and no territory disputes! :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.