Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Bridge???

Post by Chermo »

I want to make a bridge out of anything but hemp netting. With the hemp netting I can't figure out how to get it to work with suction cups so I gave up. I want it to be the whole size of the 20L but still have access to the water and food dishes so I can still empty and fill them. I have the flukers jacuzzi's so they are pretty big but I want the bridge to be about 2" to 2.5" wide but the whole length of the tank (a 20L) with ladders on each end. I have a ton of stuff in my tank already so it would also have to work around those things. I don't like anything cloth either since it just gets hard with the salt water and heat. I am sick of washing the net I am using in water then boiling it in declorinated water which is time consuming and a pain in the butt to do once a week. Any ideas?????? What woods could I use if I decided to go wood? What plastic can I use if I decide plastic is the way to go?
Thanks in advance.....
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Bridge???

Post by emmac350 »

You could use a cholla log for that (there are a few new ones at the Addiction store). You also maybe could make one out of the craft plastic stuff that people weave yarn through (I don't know what it's called - it looks like a mesh). You could cut it into strips and attach the strips together to make it long enough.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

It's called plastic canvas craft sheets. One can also use the hard plastic gutter guard strips that are sturdy or even cork bark. About 1/2 way down this link:

http://www.craftdesigns4you.com/supplyshop4.htm

I use this as the flooring to my second levels.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by Chermo »

Thanks ladies, how do I connect it to the cage, my suction cups are a little large for those holes and how would I be able to have a ramp for them to climb. I am more of a visual person so I may just have to try it and see what happens.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Any way you could use the industrial strength velcro? Or even use the plastic craft thread they sell back in the sewing area where the plastic canvas craft sheets are sold, loop it through the holes then velcro them to the inside of the tank?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ICS
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 10

Re: Jacuzzi

Post by ICS »

What size are your jacuzzis? I'm interested in purchasing two large-sized jacuzzis. Do you think the large size would be too big for a 20 gallon tank? I'd like to find something where my large indo can go into/submerge in.

Chermo wrote:I want to make a bridge out of anything but hemp netting. With the hemp netting I can't figure out how to get it to work with suction cups so I gave up. I want it to be the whole size of the 20L but still have access to the water and food dishes so I can still empty and fill them. I have the flukers jacuzzi's so they are pretty big but I want the bridge to be about 2" to 2.5" wide but the whole length of the tank (a 20L) with ladders on each end. I have a ton of stuff in my tank already so it would also have to work around those things. I don't like anything cloth either since it just gets hard with the salt water and heat. I am sick of washing the net I am using in water then boiling it in declorinated water which is time consuming and a pain in the butt to do once a week. Any ideas?????? What woods could I use if I decided to go wood? What plastic can I use if I decide plastic is the way to go?
Thanks in advance.....
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

If you read in Chermo's signature she had to adopt out her hermies. She rarely if ever visits the forum, and this posting is over a year old.
But the Groovy Jacuzzi:

http://www.flukerfarms.com/groovyjacuzzi.aspx
Small 1.5" High x 4" wide x 6" long
Medium 1.5" High x 5" wide x 8"long
Large 2" High x 7.5" wide x 10" long
X-Large 2" High x 8.5" wide x 12" long
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Emeraldroots
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by Emeraldroots »

I have no hermit crabs yet lol so my feedback is worth a grain of salt at best. I really liked the Flukers groovy jacuzzis! It has an exit built into it so I don't have to place things in the bowl for smaller hermit crabs I may purchase to get out of it. In theory it seems like a good idea. I intend to use 2 mediums. Pretty good size. Is there a pet store that carries them so you can get a better idea of what they look like? If not I could find something to put in the bowl I have and take a pic of it to give you a sense of scale. I also have a 20 gallon tank and the mediums leave enough room for other stuff as well.

Goodluck!