Please help me identify this hermit crab.

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
mabecs
Zygote
Zygote

Please help me identify this hermit crab.

Post by mabecs »

Hello!

We recently ended up with an Ecuadorian hermit crab and were trying to get him a friend. Most stores in the area just sell "regular hermit crabs" without being able to say what kind, and we got one that we thought looked like him except orange. Now I'm wondering if the second crab may actually be a Purple Pincher, but I'm not sure. I've seen pictures of both that look like him.
Here's the rundown:
- mostly orange body, large-ish purple-ish claw (but not dark like in photos I looked up)
- slim D shaped shell opening
- appears to retract similarly to an Ecuadorian, but maybe because of the shell shape
- slower/sluggish compared to the E we have
- eye shape seems rounder than the E we have
- someone at the store thought they sold PPs when I called back today

So I'm leaning towards he's a purple pincher, but my reservation is that I keep reading that they won't use D shells, and I see a lot of pictures of Ecuadorians that look like him, with many of the PP pictures looking really different from him.

Are there any other markers to tell for sure? What if I put some O shells in, would he switch, or is it a matter of what they're used to being in?

Secondary concern: If he is a PP, do I need to get another one of each kind? My understanding is that they're social and need companions, but can't communicate between species. I'm not against getting more, but they both also seem to be doing well as they are and I've read about PPs killing each other often.

Please help!
Thanks!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Please help me identify this hermit crab.

Post by Wai »

Hi there, please attach a photo and I'll have a look. I don't think the difference in species has much effect on the likelihood of them killing each other.
Wai
mabecs
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mabecs »

This is the best one I can get right now. He turns away every time I try to get a picture. I can try again later.
IMG_20180820_182012_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 125
Total tanks: 2

Post by StellaCrab »

That’s a clypeatus, also known as the purple pincher. It’s just less pigmented in color, which is common for small crabs to have bright lighter colors.
Last edited by StellaCrab on 29 Nov 2018, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
mabecs
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mabecs »

Thanks, Stella. So then do I need to get another of each type so they have companions? I keep reading that they don't do well without others of their own species. They seem ok so far, but we haven't had them for very long.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I think if you are new to the hobby, stick with the two you have now; perhaps a month or two later down the track when everything is settled, you can get them a like-species buddy.
Wai
mabecs
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mabecs »

Thanks, Wai!
alexsmith123
Zygote
Zygote

Post by alexsmith123 »

Maybe you just need to get another companion for each species cause maybe it's hard for them to interact with different species.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

It is a PP. If it is killing the others you may need to introduce him to the others in a neutral territory. Hermies are VERY territorial. Also, check the food section and make sure he is getting a well balanced diet. Make sure chitin is in his diet. Some protein sources have chitin in them, but not all do.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.