Strawberry with Aussie crabs?

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Strawberry with Aussie crabs?

Post by POPPIT »

Hi All.....I was curious about getting a Strawberry hermit crab further down the track....I have only had my 3 medium Aussie crabs 3 1/2 weeks so i want to get to know them for a while first....My question is if Strawberries get along with Aussies and if i would need to get 2 Strawberries or if the Aussies would be enough company?....I could always set up another tank for a few Strawberries...Has anyone had experiences with these two species? Also if you have had a Strawberry i would like to know a bit about special care, behavior, food etc
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: Strawberry with Aussie crabs?

Post by appps »

Wai is the only aussie I can think of with them. He has a thread about them here somewhere.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Strawberry crabs are notoriously hard to care for, so I wouldn't recommend getting any until your setup is 100% stable. They are very sensitive to minute changes in temperature or humidity and have more stringent requirements for their diet. Even very experienced crabbers have had problems keeping straws happy. They need a LOT of room for exercise as well.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Yes i have read they can be pretty fragile and need close care...my tank is pretty stable atm...but i would like to write down daily/nightly checks to get a more accurate idea...Yes i read they like room and are very active...if my current tank 18gal/68ltrs with my 3 medium Aussies isnt big enough for 1-2 Strawberries then later on after gaining more experience and confidence i might get another 18gal or so for Strawberries...Obviously im not ready to own an exotic yet but am trying to gain knowledge about them for the future...I wish we could get more species of hermits sent to Aus like purple pinches,violas,blueberries and indos...They are shipping Aussies all over now hopefully they have great homes...
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

I wouldn't mind Ecuadorians and Ruggies too
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Strawberries are supposed to be kept in a tank no smaller than 80 cm long (approximate, from several exotic pets care sheets), or about 30 inches long. I don't think the tank you have right now is properly sized for both your Aussie crabs and additional strawberries because the straws need so much room on their own. I'd say take some time to get more confident with your setup and once you've had more time you can expand to a bigger tank and look at getting exotics.

Keep in mind that crabs grow, so even if the crabs might all fit in the tank right now (if you found tiny/small strawberry crabs), they won't later on. I've got 3 crabs in my 30g tall and I am not sure if I could fit in any more unless I started them out as tiny additions. The 30g was great when I had a bunch of tiny/smalls but now...not so much.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Thanks for that info on size of a tank for Straws Emma...I have just moved my tank onto a desk which is ideal for a bigger tank lol...not quite sure how big though....I toyed with the idea of one Strawberry in my 18gal long with my 3 Aussies but i agree with you Emma on the lack of space now that i know that Straws need roaming room...Im not sure how big your crabs are but i found a site that stated a small crab needed 3gal per crab a medium crab needed 4gal per crab..I didnt really look at the other crab sizes as i wasnt planing on getting any bigger but im assuming it may just increase 1gal per size of crab...Depends on ground space for moulting you might be able to get more then your current 3 :D
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

I've got a large, a medium, and a small in a 30g tall. I know what the charts say but I don't agree. Based on that I should be able to have 10 smalls in my tank, but I don't think that would give them nearly enough space, especially if all of them decided to molt at the same time. At the most I had 4 tinies, 2 smalls, 1 medium, and 1 large and it felt REALLY crowded to me.

For an idea of exactly HOW active they were and how many were everywhere at once when my tank only had 1 large, 2 smalls, and 3 tinies, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rtbDyiiARY

It's time lapse photographs stitched together of my tank overnight, photos taken every 30 seconds.

Mommy to:

aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

Personally i go with a standard 120cm (4ft) tank with house around 2 straws and two aussies each; as they are rather active compared to PP's for example. Like a few members have 20 - 50 crabs in a 100g tank; each with the same sized tank I would only have around 10 aussies/straws MAX.
Of course this depends on crab to crab; tank sizes and other influencing factors but for me; less is more!
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Nice vid by the way Emma.....I love the big one....The tall tanks have less "ground" space so seem more crowded if they were all down at once like you stated....Following the crab space guidelines i can have 6 small crabs in my tank....I now have 3 mediums(not very big mediums) and 1 small(new addition i got today) and i would be comfortable buying one more but that would be all as they do grow.....I think its partly individual choice part whats right for the crabs and of course depends on the species you have too
Thats very reasonable AussieJJDude a lot of running room.....I have future plans on getting a 3ft tank which will be 150ltrs(close to 40 gal) and i would love to have 2 Strawberries along with my current 3medium 1small Aussies.....I have seen a few crowded tanks on youtube but most are responsible with their tank space.