Where to buy new Aussie hermit crabs?

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 32
Total tanks: 2

Where to buy new Aussie hermit crabs?

Post by StarJohn »

Hello . This question is aimed at any fellow Sydney based crabbers. I currently have two hermit crabs (I assumed after my research that only Aussie hermit crabs are available here - so therefore I assume that is what I have - though I may be wrong?). I am looking to add two more to my crabitat in the future and am wondering if any of you that are Sydney based may be able to suggest a good place to purchase them where the crabs are kept in a good condition and environment? The place purchased my first two in did not have optimum conditions. Thanks in advance!

StarJohn
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: Where to buy new Aussie hermit crabs?

Post by appps »

If you don't find any good recommendations the best thing is to speak to the best you do find and find out when their shipment arrives. I got mine on the day they received them so the crabs went straight from the delivery people to my tank bypassing the pet shop altogether. Just find out their delivery day and approx del time and ask them to call you when they arrive.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 32
Total tanks: 2

Post by StarJohn »

Oh that's a great idea thanks appps! I will do that. Thanks
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

I don't think there are many good places to purchase hermits in QLD that have optimum condiitions, however that was a GREAT suggestion appps! I think the best place to get them from would be where they don't have alot of marketing appeals going with the crabs. As an example, Petbarn now supports the 'Krabooz Krabs' company, where you can join a crab 'tribe' and buy their kit (horrible thing, looks like a life ring). So, I would definitely not buy them from Petbarn, I would drive a little further to Pet City, which has much better conditions - considering the other candidates.