Help Identifying and Questions

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Help Identifying and Questions

Post by ladybug15057 »

I prefer the CaribSea sand. I use it dry and have done so for many years successfully. (please feel free to read about play sand at):
http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-browse_categ ... =off&type=

this one shows some of the things that cannot be washed or baked out:

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... Substrates

Caribsea sugar or select grains are both oolitic sands and are a bit more pricey than other substrates. But it does wash nicely and bakes well for reuse. (I think my daughter has the oldest caribsea around)
http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Washing+Sand

Nowadays I deep clean once.... maybe twice a year.

As for names, years ago gender use to be by the hair on hermies legs. XD This is how we name ours at first, and named King Crab by this. When it actually was discovered about the gonopores she was already with us a couple of years. And we do believe she use to answer to her name when my daughter called for her. (well she felt the vibrations) So she kept her name and was a very proud hermie!
Now 82 hermies... they do get to be a handful sometimes. *|
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
phynyx525
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

Post by phynyx525 »

I always knew taking Geology classes in college would come in handy eventually. Oolitic sand is good! I am going to switch to CaribSea in the larger tank and use up the coco-fiber substrate that I have in the isolation habitat. Just out of curiosity do you have all 82 hermies named? It's a full time job here trying to get my daughter to name our two crabs :) . I wanted to thank you again for all of the help and information you have given.
Mike
PP Crabs: Helios and Caesar
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Not just that, but Marie has had all 82 of them before I even started crabbing.
Wai
phynyx525
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

Post by phynyx525 »

Wai wrote:Not just that, but Marie has had all 82 of them before I even started crabbing.
That is awesome and shows some serious dedication. What's even better is that you all take the time out to help other people with their hermit crabs. Hats off to all of you.
Mike
PP Crabs: Helios and Caesar
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Wai wrote:Not just that, but Marie has had all 82 of them before I even started crabbing.
Dunno Wai? The 'exotics' didn't hit towards the eastern part of U.S. until about... Feb./March 2004. That is when I got my rugs, indo's, and then my straws about Nov. 2004 when they reached here.
So take those 12 off, (4 each species) we have had majority of the others since 2000. BUT, only 54 of the 82 are actually mine. (12 being the 3 species) And yes phynyx525 they do all have names, but I am only really sure of my hermies names... and know some of my daughters. ;)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Close enough lol, I started in May 2003.
Wai