?s about aquiring new species

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
beka
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 72
Total tanks: 2

?s about aquiring new species

Post by beka »

i have two small PPs that are doing well and i am interested in getting an E from the local pet store. from what i have read this is going to be fine, right? they should get along well. i am also really interested in getting some of the more unique crabbies ie strawberry or blueberry, wrinkled, or whatever (i love the bright colors of the red and blue!) '
here are my questions:
1. would a strawberry or bb get along with my pp and e?
2. will they be happy in the same conditions as my others?
3. what is the best way to purchase them? order through my local store or order online and have it shipped? both seem less than fun for the crabs themselves!
4. and if you say i should buy online i would love to know what site you whole heartedly reccomend!?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: ?s about aquiring new species

Post by ladybug15057 »

The more exotic hermies are more sensitive and I would strongly suggest to postpone getting any new hermies until you are able to stabilize the tank, and have a proper nutritious diet for them:

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=4478&p=36707#p36707

Winter is around the corner, we just hit fall a couple days ago here in U.S. Many will find it hard to regulate their tank conditions.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
beka
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 72
Total tanks: 2

Re: ?s about aquiring new species

Post by beka »

i do have a stable living environment and have since purchased the new sea salt. my tank is at a consitant temp and humidity...i live in the humid south and it is still hitting at least 80 deg. inside my house (which also has a naturally higher humidity due to lack of duct work). i have a good 2 months until it is chilly in the house enough to nes. turning on the heat at night.

and they are extreamly well fed crabbies: eating fresh fruits and veggies, nuts w/o salt, occasional dry snacks, sea weed w/o salt, egg shells, shrimp, plain chick bones...

am i missing something?
(by the way i am an adult and am making sure to bone up on nes. info :)