Help please :]

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
galletagirl
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 80
Total tanks: 3

Help please :]

Post by galletagirl »

Hey guys, all my hermit crabs are up from their molt. so i decided to take pics of them so i know what species they are so that i can take care of them properly. Here are pics of them. They aren't that great because it was my computer cam. I hope you can see the colors and whatnot. thanks guys :] let me know if i need clearer pics :]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
THE "EARTH" WITHOUT "ART" IS JUST "EH."
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Help please :]

Post by Wai »

They look like the common purple pincher (Coenobita clypeatus) to me.
Wai
galletagirl
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 80
Total tanks: 3

Post by galletagirl »

cool beans. i was on this website, and i saw some food for colors. https://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Product ... 0&CartID=4
i was wondering if this will give them a nice color. or should i just keep feeding them what i'm feeding them? :]
THE "EARTH" WITHOUT "ART" IS JUST "EH."
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree with Wai that they are PP's. I do not know, and I do not see where it is mentioned as to when they came up from a molt but it looks as though they may need more chitin and calcium at this point to help them harden from their molt?
The exo to a degree on a couple of them look as though they may even be in premolt due to the light coloring on the outside edges and the darker in the middle? The second picture, his antenna also look almost transparent?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.