Slight surprise

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Slight surprise

Post by Foxydiva3 »

Hey, What part of the eastern shore? There is a Place in Salisbury MD called Salisbury Super Pet that is in the Twilly Shopping center. They have crabs and alot of times have EEs. Be prepared though they keep their crabs In horrible conditions. But that is the only place I have been able to get EEs and the Occasional Ruggie.
Good luck they do like a Buddy of their own kind.
Timir
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Post by Timir »

Yeah, I had about 5-6 PP's but kitties jumped on my desk and my habitat was a bit too close to the edge so they managed to bang it into the floor, shattered glass and habitat stuff everywhere :'(

I made a little makeshift habitat for the two survivors while I was waiting on a new tank and unfortunately they passed too, I was about to put them in with the E in the new tank and found out.(No, they're definitely gone :'( I've had molts before)

In Salisbury huh? That's not too far, and sadly I'm use-to seeing them in stores that have no idea, my local petsmart is getting a lot better though, they're using Cypress bark, and about 3 inches but that's better than the scant covering of course gravel at the bottom I guess.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

In reality the gravel at the bottom of the Cypress bedding is actually safer for the hermies. Cypress bedding should not be used within a hermies tank at all, Cypress is a conifer:

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... harmful%3F
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Timir
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Timir »

Ah, well, the more you know. I'm still thinking I'll stick with Sphagnum Moss. I know my little E is hidden within it and seems fine(Very energetic, quickly came out of his shell to explore the big strange warm thing he was nested atop of on the ride home(My hand).

I guess I'll head to Salisbury if nothing else to look around, I need a few friends for him and I feel bad leaving him in there longer by himself. I also put a 25w moonglow bulb in the aquarium hood and have it on since I know they mainly are nocturnal and like the moon.
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by Foxydiva3 »

Hey Timir, Just to let you know I stopped at that Pet store Today and they did not have any EEs, Saddly they had several crabs in shells with Shark fins on the back, Horrible! I will let you know when I come across some ees again.
Timir
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Timir »

Oh wow! I just missed you! I was there at about 8:50 and I picked up 4 guys that were in natural shells and seemed to be quite lively. One is already swapping shells it looks like!

Yeah, no E's but I couldn't help myself and at least it'll be a few little friends for now, even if they're PP's :) I felt sorry for the medium PP in the fancy shell that can barely walk with it on because it's so bulky