Im now a first time exotic owner now!!!!!

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

Im now a first time exotic owner now!!!!!

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

I have litterally just ordered my 2 new exotics, which means im a new exotic owner!!! :D I have just oredered a large blueberry, and an extra large strawberry! Wow do they cost a fortune! about 30$ for both crabs and another 30$ for the shipping! But I think its worth it! If anyone could help me with advice about straws or blues? I'm going to do alot of reasearch tonight ^_^
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Im now a first time exotic owner now!!!!!

Post by emmac350 »

I don't know about the blueberries, but I know a little bit about straws. They are finicky, and even some experienced crabbers have a hard time keeping them alive. They need a TON of room (a 20g tank is the minimum room for two small straws) and will tear your tank apart. They have a tendency to enjoy swimming in their salt water pool. They need a pretty strict 80/80 temp and humidity. Feed lots of dark, bright, and tannin-rich foods to keep them from fading in color. This is what I've learned from others with straws; hopefully Marie can give you some good advice as hers have lived longer than many and not faded in color.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

ok thanks, and lol it sounds like my kind of crab :D They should be here by wed. so I have to prepare them and the others for the new arrivals ^_^ Do they prefere a type of substrate? And what kind of toys do they like? Also what are some dark rich foods that they like?
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

You prepared the others for the arrival of the straw and blueberry? I would strongly suggest to iso both of them until they adjust to your home. Straws are known to be a bit aggressive at first. Where they do require a more stable 80*F/78%, it is also VERY recommendable to have the cooler side of 71-73*F as well. A proper ocean/sea mix mixed with the salinity level of 1.021-1.024 is needed and the straw MUST be able to fully submerge in both the ocean and fresh water source.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Sounds like you need to purchase a hydrometer :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

(for crabbyjo) I do have a hydrometer right now, its reading 75% now but I'm going to work really hard to geet it up more, oh and for lady bug, I didn't mean it like that, what I meant was to prepare an iso for both and to get the te others ready means that i haave to more stuff such as climbing materials and eco earth. Also sorry I haven't replied but i've been really busy with band camp ugh 8 hours a day good thing its almost over! :)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

hermie_lover3542 wrote:(for crabbyjo) I do have a hydrometer right now, its reading 75% now but I'm going to work really hard to geet it up more
Don't confuse 'hydrometer' with 'hygrometer'. Hydrometers are used to measure the specific gravity of water with certain substances dissolved in it (and you can then estimate its salinity), while hygrometers measure humidity (which is what I believe you have).
Wai
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

Oooooh! My mistake sorry about that guys, they look so much the same spelling wise so, where could i purchase one of those? Oh and I have an update my crabs got delayed until tomarow :( I don't think I can wait much longer lol!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Delayed? Is it due to the extreme heat the U.S. has been experiencing?
What brand name of ocean water do you use?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

hermie_lover3542 wrote:where could i purchase one of those?
Most pet stores have them, but the ones that sell salt water fish almost always have them.
Wai