3 PP's and 1 E????

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
harleyucollins
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 10
Total gallons: 31
Total tanks: 3

3 PP's and 1 E????

Post by harleyucollins »

I was trying to read other posts about mixing species.. but I'm still confused. I have three PP's already in my tank (one molting and isolated) and then I bought another crab today and it's an E. They didn't have two or I would have bought two. Is it ok to mix them, or should I hurry and buy another E?? Or will they be ok until I get another E??

My E will be in an ISO tank for a few weeks.. so I'm hoping I can get another one soon.
Proud owner of 10 hermit crabs.
6 PP's - Dino, Squirt, and Squishy (Other three unnamed)
4 E -Reo-ohki, Pip, Magnus, and Tien
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: 3 PP's and 1 E????

Post by emmac350 »

They'll be fine as is, but if you want to get another E, I'm sure yours won't mind having a same-species friend. I have 4 PPs and 3 Es together and haven't had any problems with that mixture. They never used to mix, but sometimes my little Es follow around my much larger PPs as if they're big brother or something. It's rather cute. :)
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
harleyucollins
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 10
Total gallons: 31
Total tanks: 3

Post by harleyucollins »

Ok, thanks. I didn't know if it would be a problem since it's 3 to 1. haha. :] But hopefully soon I will be able to get anoter E so it will have another of it's kind with him. :]
Proud owner of 10 hermit crabs.
6 PP's - Dino, Squirt, and Squishy (Other three unnamed)
4 E -Reo-ohki, Pip, Magnus, and Tien
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I also have a mixture of E's and PP's, and while the E's tend to hang together, I'll see an E hanging out with a PP from time to time. ;)

I think it's a good idea to get another E when you can, I did read that it is best to have at least two of a species, which makes some sort of sense to me. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Take advantage of being able to have some variety in species. XD I wish us Australians could get a second species.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

It has not been proven as fact as to whether a hermie thrives more with another of their own species or not. So I would recommend to have at least 2 of the same, just in case. (good reason to get another E too) Even if they come from the same tank now, they would still need to be iso'ed.
In my main tank I have E's, PP's (and have had for almost 10 years now) as well as Indo's and rugs who all live in the same tank with no problems.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.