A Question about Straws

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: A Question about Straws

Post by emmac350 »

I'm not sure, Marie - I offer my guys just about everything off of the Keep on Crabbin' site, both dried (Addiction store or drying on my own) and fresh. So I wonder why it is that a certain diet will make one crab turn amazingly dark colors and won't get another crab beyond a nice deep red and purple. How long did you have that crab, Spidtat, before he/she turned that color?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

ladybug15057 wrote:With CrabWorks Jon & Kate, she swears by the brown oak leaves. :)
What species are the brown oak leaves? I must get some! I heard oak leaves are toxic to some mammals though.
Wai
spidtat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 40
Total gallons: 110

Post by spidtat »

Emma he was one of the first crabs I got over 2 years ago and he has not only changed color drastically but he has grown the most as well. It took probably 6 months or so before I started noticing the color changes and looking back through some old pictures it was probably a better part of year before he came up from his last molt looking like that, so it was not him just going down light and coming back u that dark but it was over the course of 4 or 5 molts. Something odd about him though is he was one when I first got him that it was lucky if you ever got to see him. There was one stretch in about a 4 month period I saw him 1 or 2 times b/c he absolutely loved playing underground and digging, now he is almost always out and about. Might have something to do with it, but I doubt it.
Keep On Crabbin'<--- My New Store Check It Out!!! Now carrying Happy hermit Kibble and Crabotanicals!!!
Now on Facebook as well, check out Keep On Crabbin'

1 Rug, 2 Indo's, 2 Viola's, 4 Straws, 11 PP's, and 10 E's= 1 Very happy owner
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

I hope my two original crabs come out like that...I got them tiny and one has doubled in size to a small size, but both he and his 'brother' (who's healthy, but has been in the same shell for a year now) are rarely sighted in my tank. I'm definitely going to hope for some awesome coloring from them - now they have a role model, haha!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I have no idea what the species of aok leaves CrabWorks feeds them? There are just so many species! She use to gather them while walking, and since she has moved to Florida has a friend of hers from up north here ship her some each year for Jon & Kate. (I have offered to send them to her as well.)
Here in my back yard and our woods we have 3 different species of oak trees. I even have a couple white oak trees, which from researching a few years ago I found is suppose to have the highest tannin levels.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
spidtat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 40
Total gallons: 110

Post by spidtat »

Sorry it took so long to respond to this Emma just now seeing it, but thanks for the compliment and I hope your crabs do as you hope. I still like the multi-colored young PP's but those super dark ones are growing on me more and more. #D
Keep On Crabbin'<--- My New Store Check It Out!!! Now carrying Happy hermit Kibble and Crabotanicals!!!
Now on Facebook as well, check out Keep On Crabbin'

1 Rug, 2 Indo's, 2 Viola's, 4 Straws, 11 PP's, and 10 E's= 1 Very happy owner
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65

Post by Foxydiva3 »

I Have Four Straws and have had them for a little over two years. Three of them are the size of med two of them were a very light Orange and one was like a dark orange, I also Have a Huge one named Monster he is about a soft ball size and started out a Muddy looking red after two moults he is a bright dark cherry red. Very pretty. Now the smaller guys have all moulted to darker oranges each moult they come up darker but none have reached the bright cherry of monster. I Feed A ton of differnt things A variety of Fruits nuts and all kinds of shrimp and stuff. Their favorite thing is bannana chips and they LOVE Blood Worms and Pecans.Hope that helps :D
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

Questions about straws.

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

I am getting a straw tuesday, and I was wondering if they are active? I have always had pps and have no expierience with other species thanks.
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Questions about straws.

Post by CrabbyJo »

Straws are VERY active and will need more room than a PP. They also love to climb, so will need lots of climbing space.
They also require a very strict environment, with a stable and steady humidity of about 75% and temperature of about 78*F. They require ocean salt water, so if you do not have it for your crabs already (which it is important for all hermit crabs) you must obtain some and mix it according to package directions. Hermit crab salt is never acceptable, not for any hermit crab.

Those who have some strawberries, like Marie (Ladybug) will give much more detailed and better info than I have given so far, but these are the criteria I've seen listed for Strawberry hermit crabs.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

hermie_lover3542 your post was merged with an existing post 2 down from the one you created with the same subject.
Also I typed "Strawberry" in the search bar in the upper right corner of the screen and a detailed post came up about straws:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3293&p=27253&hilit ... rry#p27253

If you get a straw, please make sure you only keep no more than 2 in a 20 gal long tank... alone, no other species. They MUST have room. And be prepared to leave the straw alone for at LEAST 3-4 weeks for him/her to destress!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.