Strawberry hermit crab

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Re: Strawberry hermit crab

Post by bobo »

Akai wrote:Just get them, way better than ending up in the hands of some brat. :)
Not nessicarily a brat, but probably an uneducated child. I'm still considering. And I would like to make some changes to my tank before adding a straw.
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
Akai
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 2

Post by Akai »

That's good. This is just me, but I would get them while you have the chance. :)
It's a good thing I bought my Straws at the time I saw them, the store doesn't carry them anymore.
Last edited by Akai on 27 Jul 2009, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
Home to:
6 PPs:Bjorn, Geoff, Amos, Sam, Milo and Henry
2 Straws:Io and Callisto
4 Es:Odaiba, Hokkaido, Iriomote, and Osaka
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

I agree with you somewhat, Akai, but here's the way I figure:

We know that PPs and Es as a species will travel up to several miles in one night in the wild. That's a lot of room, and they definitely don't get that in our tanks (most of the reason that I have my exercise Rubbermaid for them - their appetites are much better when they have gotten some running/climbing time in there. So if PPs and Es should be traveling that long in the wild, strawberries must need travel even farther at a time. They are described as being much more active than other crabs - even two small strawberries in a 20g long tank will make it seem like a pack of bulldozers has run through the tank, instead of just crabs. They are a much more active bunch (which would make me want them, except for the more specific needs) and, thus, need more room than others. You wouldn't put an active dog, say, into a tiny dog run, would you? But if you had a same-sized dog that wasn't active at all, a tiny dog run wouldn't be bad for him as he didn't need the room.

As for your final point, the "buy the crab as you'd at least try to take care of it" - if you don't think that you can provide appropriate care for the crab to live in your tank, there isn't much of a difference between you buying the crab and trying to care for it and some little kid who's just going to feed it commercial food and tap water in a tiny critter keeper. Yeah, the crab might last a bit longer with you, but if you can't give it what it needs, the end result is the same - the crab will die. Just something to think about, I'm not trying to be all negative here, but it's something to think about. If a crab dies with you, it's still dead, just as if it died in someone else's possession. It may have had an easier death with you (got better food, dechlor. water, was able to move around) but it is still dead. Sometimes, all you can do is adopt a crab on its way out and make its passing comfortable, but I don't like to look at it that way if I can avoid it. If I'm paying for a crab, I'm paying for one that will be with me a while, not just a few days until the irreversible damage from bad conditions takes its toll.

Also: most Petcos that I've seen offer Strawberry crabs, so they aren't necessarily a hot commodity.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

Well the store that they are at has good conditions so im sure they will do alright until I do buy them(possibly.)Also, I asked the Petstore people how long they have been in the tank, and they said for about a month, so Im sure nobody in the next week or so will come and buy four medium straws, considering this store has much much more than just hermit crabs. Emma, I agree with you, but I do have appropriate tank conditions. As you said it will die after a longer amount of time without the bad owner, but everything does in time die, and it would probably be a happier ending if it had what i think to be good tank conditions. Still not sure though but Im going to go see how theyre doing tomarrow and possibly, probably not buy one unless theres only one left or something like that.
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
Akai
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 60

Post by Akai »

Ah yes, I haven't tough of it that way. Tho, it's your decision bobo. 8)
Home to:
6 PPs:Bjorn, Geoff, Amos, Sam, Milo and Henry
2 Straws:Io and Callisto
4 Es:Odaiba, Hokkaido, Iriomote, and Osaka
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

Bobo, I'm not trying to say that you can't offer a strawberry what it needs, but I know that you don't have a thermostat, which would help you out a lot, especially at the end of the summer when school starts back up (and when it gets cooler out while you're gone, that's the worst - coming home to find the tank cold, ugh!). I know you would do everything you could to keep those crabs alive, and I'm glad that you want to give straws a shot - heck, I'd love to, except I don't have the tank space with 8 tiny/small/medium crabs already in my 30g tank. I'm just saying that there are a lot of things that they need that we don't think about sometimes. I just want to make sure you have all the information before you make your decision!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

emmac350 wrote:Bobo, I'm not trying to say that you can't offer a strawberry what it needs, but I know that you don't have a thermostat, which would help you out a lot, especially at the end of the summer when school starts back up (and when it gets cooler out while you're gone, that's the worst - coming home to find the tank cold, ugh!). I know you would do everything you could to keep those crabs alive, and I'm glad that you want to give straws a shot - heck, I'd love to, except I don't have the tank space with 8 tiny/small/medium crabs already in my 30g tank. I'm just saying that there are a lot of things that they need that we don't think about sometimes. I just want to make sure you have all the information before you make your decision!
I see what you mean about not enough room. That always seems to be a problem for me... :( Though the Straws at the Store were tiny/small so they might find the tank to be large enough, but I really don't know. I think that it would be really fun if I got one and help my experience with hermit crabs. So I think that I will get one as long as my parents are up for it, though I have to wait to get birthday money to get one... :( Since my birthdays is one August 8th I dont think that it shouldbe an issue. I have found that recently my tank is staying consistenly at 81 degrees and that is good, I will buy the Straw food when I get a chance and I will let you know when I hopefully get some.
Becky
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

All I can say from reading this whole thread is WOW!!!!
So if I am gathering this right "The pet store isn't as good as, so it is ok for me who is suppose to have research and knowledge under me to take proper care of hermies, but am going to take these straws knowing I do not have a proper crabitat for them."
What makes one any better with this type of reasoning than the pet stores so many write about for neglect???????????????
Why ask for advise if once given from knowledge if one is going to only argue afterwards as to why they are going to anyway? (why waste time????)
I have personally read where one is plugging and unplugging a UTH and such to try to keep a proper temp in their tank, and just recently were told 88* F was way too hot for a tank. (which it IS!)
I do have 4 straws and yes I have them in a 40 gal breeder tank. This species is VERY active and looks as though bull dozers have gone through the tank. They are so active that even with out of the tank time in a baby pool jungle gym it is not uncommon to find them scaling the underside of the screen lid (that is under a plexiglas lid) on a regular basis.
As for food, they do need a very rounded diet and MUST have all the vitamins and minerals. (and no I have not ever bought the suppose to be straw mix in the link above that doesn't mention what all is in that food bag.)
The floor space of a 29 gal isn't that much different than that of a 20 gal long, and even 2 straws in this size tank is really small for them. (no other species and no other hermies in it) To cram straws is only asking for trouble, they will become very aggressive towards the other straw and certainly agaisnt the other hermies. Think of if you had to stay in a room about as large as a bathroom 24/7. I think one would go stir crazy, and as Emma said these hermies are use to scooting about for miles at night and get loads of exercise.
And If I am not mistaken Bobo, not long ago you became bored with your hermies and just recently began to get back into them?
Sorry folks, just some of this reasoning in this thread has got a flame on my desk chair!!!!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

Well, ok. I guess I won't be getting any Straws.
Becky
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

I've never owned straws, but I saw how hyperactive they could be at a small hermit crab store in Hong Kong. There were other species in the tank, including indos and cavs, but the straws were by far a lot more active. If more substrate was provided, the straws would have bulldozed all over it.

Remember, you have other hermit crabs in the tank. The straws may get cranky and beat up the other hermit crabs if they feel overcrowded. I witnessed such behaviour in the hermit crab store tank. The straws not only pushed each other around, but the indos and cavs too.

From the straws activity, it seems as though even a 20 gallon tank for two straws alone isn't enough.
Wai