Strawberry hermit crab

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Strawberry hermit crab

Post by bobo »

I went to my hermit crab pet store the other day and I saw Straws! There were about four of them and they looked very healthy. I am just wondering if you think that I should get one. I have a 29 gallon tank with proper humidity and tempertature on a regular basis. I have 3 Purple Pinchers and 3 Equidorians. I have owned hermit crabs for a little over a year and a half.
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Strawberry hermit crab

Post by emmac350 »

It's generally recommended that you get more than one of a species when you do...and strawberries need a ton more room than PPs or Es - two tiny straws on their own in a tank would need a 20 gallon long at a minimum, and even that is a bit small. They are the hardest species to keep - they need special foods, very set temperature and humidity (it has to be 80 degrees and 80% humidity constantly in their tanks), and they have different requirements for salt water.

I'd recommend that you not get a straw with your tank already having 6 crabs in it. Maybe if you get another tank that you can get set up properly for them (ask Marie - she has a handful of straws, if I remember right) so that they won't die - they usually die within a year or so if they don't have the exact right conditions.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

emmac350 wrote:It's generally recommended that you get more than one of a species when you do...and strawberries need a ton more room than PPs or Es - two tiny straws on their own in a tank would need a 20 gallon long at a minimum, and even that is a bit small. They are the hardest species to keep - they need special foods, very set temperature and humidity (it has to be 80 degrees and 80% humidity constantly in their tanks), and they have different requirements for salt water.

I'd recommend that you not get a straw with your tank already having 6 crabs in it. Maybe if you get another tank that you can get set up properly for them (ask Marie - she has a handful of straws, if I remember right) so that they won't die - they usually die within a year or so if they don't have the exact right conditions.
What special foods do they need, and what special salt water do they need? Thank you so much!
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

This is a link to a strawberry crab-specific diet. Their salt water needs to be stronger than PP or Es need, but I'm not sure the exact salinity level you'd need, but you need to be able to measure the specific gravity of your water as you mix it to ensure you get the right level every time. These crabs give expert crab owners trouble, so good luck - lots of people with 10+ years crabbing won't even try with these guys because they are so easy to kill.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

I'm leaning towards getting one, though I'm still not sure. But living in my 29 gallon tank would deffinetly be better for it than rotting away in someones critter keeper. ;)
Becky
Akai
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 60

Post by Akai »

bobo wrote:I'm leaning towards getting one, though I'm still not sure. But living in my 29 gallon tank would deffinetly be better for it than rotting away in someones critter keeper. ;)
Ditto that.
My Straws live with a bunch of other PPs and Es and they are fine. I don't see why they need more space than regular crabs. :)
Home to:
6 PPs:Bjorn, Geoff, Amos, Sam, Milo and Henry
2 Straws:Io and Callisto
4 Es:Odaiba, Hokkaido, Iriomote, and Osaka
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

I've never owned one, but from the info I've read on here from Emma and many others, as well as many other hermit crab dedicated websites is that they require more room, exact temp. and humidity and special water and food. I don't know why ,but many sources say that they are very hard to take care of.
Becky
Akai
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Akai »

They are harder to take care of, but i just don't believe they need more room than the other species. It's like giving a PP one inch of room and a Straw a mile. :S
Home to:
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

Well not really one inch, more like 29 gallons but I don't know...It is the species requirment and I dont really think that Straws chose to be that way because hermit crabs dont really do peopleish things.
Becky
Akai
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Akai »

Just get them, way better than ending up in the hands of some brat. :)
Home to: