What kind of Hermies are my crabs?

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: What kind of Hermies are my crabs?

Post by emmac350 »

Sounds like you discovered the need to keep some air flowing through the tank! Without fresh air moving in and out of the tank, eco earth (and any other once-alive, wet stuff) can easily ferment (it's like rotting, but there's no oxygen needed; it's how alcohol is made) and get gross. You need to ensure you have some air flow into the tank to keep this from happening again - it doesn't need to be much, but it will help a lot! My air flow comes from the room under my light hood (I have a wire running out from under it) and about a 1/4 inch gap between the plexiglass and hood the whole way around the tank. I'm considering ways to get a little more, but my humidity is stable and the tank doesn't stink so I may not end up bothering. Don't seal the top of the tank with the plastic, just wrap the plastic around your humidity holder-in (cardboard or whatever you're using), but don't cover the whole lid with that combination!. This should also help with your condensation issue.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 38
Total tanks: 2

Post by Salt and Pepper »

But.I.would.open.the.lid.daily.half.way.alot!Now.we.switched.back.to.our.normal.Mesh.Lid.Non-Covered.We.are.getting.a.PlexiGlas.lid.though.
I love all my hermies! They are all PPs.
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

New plexi glas lid :D
RIP Helena and Luna-Who died molting...
and Salt and Pepper, my first hermies that died to lack of proper care <3
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

But as Emma was trying to explain, it is important to have air flow in the tank to prevent this. Part of a day or even some of the day keeping the lid 1/2 open will not help prevent what happened. One wants to try to keep a stable proper level 24/7.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.