What kind of Hermies are my crabs?

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 38
Total tanks: 2

Re: What kind of Hermies are my crabs?

Post by Salt and Pepper »

ladybug15057 wrote:But Salt and Pepper the pictures you uploaded on July 15, 2009 show extra painted shells in the tank? :S
http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/galle ... t=0&pos=10

Those aren't extras, those are my crabs! Petsmart...
I love all my hermies! They are all PPs.
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

New plexi glas lid :D
RIP Helena and Luna-Who died molting...
and Salt and Pepper, my first hermies that died to lack of proper care <3
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

So I'm all eager to find out what you have, get someone to loan you a camera if you have to and get us some pictures! lol.

:D
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

If those shells have hermies in them, where are the extra shells you offer in the tank?
And I too am curious as to what species of hermie you have. You can try to take the picture from 8 inches away on the macro setting Emma was metioning.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I

ladybug15057 wrote:If those shells have hermies in them, where are the extra shells you offer in the tank?
And I too am curious as to what species of hermie you have. You can try to take the picture from 8 inches away on the macro setting Emma was metioning.

The white one and the and the brown one, are empty natrual shells for one of my Jumbos who's way too big for his shell. The rest are in bag on the side. I don't know why, it was blurry. I use Macro now though, as you can see in the other picture of my E, Coke. Well, Salt is dead. I can't get another pic, but I'll try to draw him.
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

These crabs died in June?
SaltandPepper, you really should have told us.
No wonder they died. You didn't have the correct setup to keep them alive. Do you have ocean salt water for your crabs now? I suggest you do NOT buy any crabs that you think are not Purple Pincers, as they will not survive if you can't provide them with everything they need.

Also, one or two extra shells is not nearly enough. They need at least 4 or 5 EACH to choose from. Even if they are the same size. If you have two crabs the same size, you should have 10 shells of their size to choose from. They really do need a variety, so see what you can do okay? Sometimes online is the best place to find some good shells. Hopefully your parents will help you shop for some.
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I

CrabbyJo wrote:These crabs died in June?
SaltandPepper, you really should have told us.
No wonder they died. You didn't have the correct setup to keep them alive. Do you have ocean salt water for your crabs now? I suggest you do NOT buy any crabs that you think are not Purple Pincers, as they will not survive if you can't provide them with everything they need.

Also, one or two extra shells is not nearly enough. They need at least 4 or 5 EACH to choose from. Even if they are the same size. If you have two crabs the same size, you should have 10 shells of their size to choose from. They really do need a variety, so see what you can do okay? Sometimes online is the best place to find some good shells. Hopefully your parents will help you shop for some.
They died in May, and I mentioned it in another post. I was a new crabber then, in April, and I didn't know the species and bought them at a festival where they only sold straws, except for this one. I had sand in the tank and a small patch of gravel. I had a plastic lid of freshwater and we were getting Salt water mix, and they died. We looked at Petco and they were completely sold out of shells.
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I

How do you keep a humid tank?!

I have a UTH, moist soil and a mesh lid, though the air in the tank is bone dry. The UTH is only on one side and it keeps ONLY that area hot. (if it feels too hot, i unplug it). Should I get a humidifier? How do keep it humid?
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Salt and Pepper your humidity post question has been merged here with one of your original postings. I am sorry, but it appears that once questions are being asked of you regarding your crabitat or your caring method you go to another area of HCP and create another thread. This makes it seem as though you are avoiding questions that are being asked directly of you.
Now, if you have a UTH on this tank, it should be raised up about 1 inch off of where you have the tank setting at so the UTH doesn't overheat and it can have air flow.
If you have a mesh lid, to begin with you need a more solid lid to hold the humidity within the tank. (always open at least a slit for fresh air to get into the tank.) For now and cost reasons you can cut a piece of cardboard and wrap it in plastic to help hold the humidity in the tank.
Please answer CrabbyJo's questions above...

BTW, for your signature it seems to have a little tone in it. I believe you're aware that regardless of the reason, painted shells are frowned on.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

We really can't keep track of things you say in other threads, when sharing information it needs to be in the same thread or we all end up getting confused. It can be very hard to remember who said what, so it's best to give all information in the same thread.

As for your tank information, please do read the care sheets on this website, they have information you need to help keep your hermies alive. The reason there ARE care sheets is because so many people lose hermies and it has been found that they need a LOT more than pet stores tell people.

You don't mention the temperature in your tank, or the humidity level. Do you have any gauges?
Feeling the uth does not help determine if it's safe for your hermies. I had a hermie die because he dug down on a uth, and though the air temp was fine, I found later that when I temped the substrate, it was 100*F, which is far too hot. This I could not "feel" with my hand even when I touched the substrate. BTW, he didn't die on the uth, but it damaged him enough that he died a couple weeks later. Heat damage cannot be healed from.
It is vitally important you get these gauges. We really do want to help you keep your hermies alive!
You need to be able to take the temperature of the substrate above the uth. If you must use a uth, then it is best to get a thermostat (with a temperature dial) to control when the uth turns off so it doesn't get too hot.
Over heating your tank will make it really hard to keep it humid.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

It is hard to keep track of who is posting what, and certainly a waste of time to need to go to ones profile area and do a search of all their postings when something does sound familiar.
Here are a couple other links to posts created that did mention care and the needs that seems as though they either were not read and comprehended or just ignored?

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2767&p=24815#p24815

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2282&p=24737#p24737

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2984&p=24693#p24693

My suggestion to all moderators for now would be to merge all Salt and Peppers hermie care questions/statements (except for the games and such) to this thread so all can follow better what has already been suggested as opposed to the continuous repeating.

Sat and Pepper, I see you have changed your signature with the tone in it.
Happy b'day BTW!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)