purple,black,orangepincer

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: purple,black,orangepincer

Post by emmac350 »

It could be an E, as Es tend to have multiple colors on them. I have Es that are gray, greenish-blue, and orange all at once. Does the crab have stitch marks (/////////) on the big pincher? Are the eyestalks candycorn shaped (kind of like \_/, in case you aren't familiar with them).
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
greenshellhermit
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 4

Post by greenshellhermit »

no i have a cav! cool
rip green shell hermit :(
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Hermie's rule »

A CAVIE!!! You sure?? Cool! They like D shaped opening shells. The longer the shell is lengthwise the more they like it. I haven't seen that species in ages and I thought they'd gotten rarer!!!! Wow! Take good care of him. He's a rare find.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Without a picture of the hermies eyes, large pincher, sorry greenshellhermit I still think you have a PP.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
greenshellhermit
Zoea I
Zoea I

Hermie's rule wrote:A CAVIE!!! You sure?? Cool! They like D shaped opening shells. The longer the shell is lengthwise the more they like it. I haven't seen that species in ages and I thought they'd gotten rarer!!!! Wow! Take good care of him. He's a rare find.
it does have D shell opening now that i look at it
greenshellhermit
Zoea I
Zoea I

ladybug15057 wrote:Without a picture of the hermies eyes, large pincher, sorry greenshellhermit I still think you have a PP.
can pp have black pincers
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

As a matter of fact, they can. If you look at http://www.hermitcrabaddiction.net/SPECIES%20ID.doc, there is a picture of a maroon and black PP on page 2. This document has a lot of good crab ID pictures that I'd recommend you go through closely to find your crab's closest-looking buddy. Also, if you could post pictures on here or link to pictures, we could help you determine what kind of crab it is.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
greenshellhermit
Zoea I
Zoea I

well thanks i saw one exactly like it :( i wanted a cav hopefully i find one :D
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

It sounds like you have a beautifully colored PP there Greenshellhermit. I think you should be very happy, I'm a little jealous of you :)
My PP's are all red legs and dark violet pincers, which are pretty, but I'd love a crab that sounds as pretty as yours. Someday I'll have one, or maybe if I feed mine right, I'll have one that way. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
greenshellhermit
Zoea I
Zoea I

thx crabby joe :D