Think my micros/smalls are Equadorians

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Think my micros/smalls are Equadorians

Post by CrabbyJo »

I pretty much assumed my little guys, Jeffrey and Rerun, are Equadorians, but I'm not 100% sure. There seems to be a lot of variety in appearance just among species, including markings and coloring.

On closer inspection, the eye stalks on both appear to have the typical Equadorian shape, but because they are so small it's hard to know for sure (and my eyes are not what they used to be, damnit I'm getting old).

I snapped a few pics with my son's cheap digital, so they are pretty lousy, but as good as I could get.
I am expecting a new battery charger for mine any day now and will try for better pics.

Jeffrey is brave and comes out of his shell when I hold him up, so I've seen his thorax and he has six dark spots on it, three on each side. His leg segments also have what look like little reddish tips on each - sorry not coming up with a good way to describe that. His big pincher is tan, while the rest of his body is the darker almost gray. Here's a link to a pic of him: http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/galle ... p?pos=-561
I mislabeled the picture, it's really Jeffrey, not Rerun.

Rerun definitely has the "candy corn" shaped eyes, so my question is this: Is it ONLY Equadorians that have the candy corn shaped stalks? If so, that should make things pretty darn easy lol.

This is the pic of Rerun where I really noticed the eye stalk shape: http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/galle ... p?pos=-559

Also, can someone point me to a help page for attaching photos in posts and for linking?
Thanks!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Re: Think my micros/smalls are Equadorians

Post by krabby_katie »

I do believe that both of them are E's. Congrats! They're really cute. :)
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Hermie's rule »

Hiya Katie! Been ages since I've seen you on here. :D I believe they're E's myself. Congrats on having them!
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Thanks, they're definitely E's. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
HermieLove19
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 19
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 2

Post by HermieLove19 »

I have three micros just like those! They're so cute.
Kerri :)
Fozzy+Bloo+George+Richard+Tabitha+Mr.Krabz+Sandy+Eugene+Tigery
Gumby+Philip+Nameless+Breuer+KVD+Sonya+Patchie+Patrick+2 adopted hermies

Rufus Shawn