SPAM Email

Queries and feedback on how this site is run. No care questions.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

SPAM Email

Post by Wai »

Recently, people have been receiving emails that seem harmless, but they are actually spam.

PLEASE HIDE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESSES. Next to "Always show my email address" when editting your profile, select "No". I have noticed a few members who have selected "Yes" instead, but I wanted to notify them to change it themselves than doing it for them myself. You need to try hide your email address from those spammers.
Last edited by Wai on 02 Jul 2006, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
Wai
bennynlewie
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by bennynlewie »

k i fixed mine to say no :)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

What this does is when people in public view your profile, the field 'Email:' will be left blank.

There is an option with Yahoo! Mail where you can create disposable addresses. You then just use the disposable address in public. If it is someone you know or someone you trust not to be a spammer who sent you the email, you can give them your real address. Otherwise if it is a spammer, you can just delete the email they sent you. If your disposable address becomes 'clogged' by spam emails everyday, you can just delete it and make another disposable address in public. Also by doing this, the people you know will just contact you with your real email address (which you will not delete).
Wai
bennynlewie
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by bennynlewie »

ya ive done that
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Here's a helpful link about filtering out spam:

http://www.paulgraham.com/wfks.html

Never open any email that looks like spam. If you need help, please post the Subject of the email message here (don't open it though, we don't need to know what it says in the body), and we will try help identifying it for you. If it is spam, go ahead and delete it.

It will also help if you choose to block all images from your email. Spammers have started adding invisible (or simply visible) images in emails that report back to the spam source that your email address is active when that image is loaded on your computer. If you really need to see images on your safe email only, turn the image settings on again, but turn it back off when you're finished.
Wai
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by hermiesrokmysox »

thank you!!
♥Hollywood♥LittleRed♥Qwerty♥Peanut♥Sprite♥Pip♥Paisly
http://hermielog2008.blogspot.com/
hey, im back. :)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

My email address is getting more and more spam as time passes. Most importantly, DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS FROM SPAM. Once you do that I cannot save you. If you disable all HTML from your email, it should be safe to open the message (without downloading the attachments of course, if there are any). Filters help remove most of your spam, but some will get through.
Wai