Edits

Queries and feedback on how this site is run. No care questions.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Edits

Post by Ginger »

Hi All, before I go into my suggestion I would like to say that this site is my absolute SAVIOUR! I did a lot of research before I got crabs and this site was one of my major points. So... My suggestion may not be possible or a little unreasonable, but I know NOTHING about what running of websites so please bear with me!

I read somewhere or rather on here that if you are adding another post to your topic where you were the last person to post, you should edit that last post of yours - don't reply to yourself. I wholeheartedly agree with this, and usually this is fine by me. However my point is, when a new post is added to a topic, the icon goes red yes? Correct me if I am wrong, but most people check for red icons so they know what to look at. If you are editing a topic, then the icon does NOT go red. If we are editing to give an *update*, which I consider important to look at, most people won't know that there has been been one. So my suggestion is to give another colour (e.g. Green) for topics that have been edited so that we don't miss out on these.

Apologies if that was confusing... After reading it a few times I'm hoping it will sink in :)
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: Edits

Post by appps »

Well there you go, I didn't know we were supposed to do that. Personally can't see the point of that rule, it's nice to see the whole story, rather one with stuff missing because it's been edited over.

And yep I look for the red icons too
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Look at it this way: if it's your crab journal or your last post is a week old (ish) without anyone having responded to it, feel free to reply. If it's only been a few hours through a week old, edit it.

It just keeps the forums looking clean and attempts to prevent people from replying a ton to their own posts to bump their post count up. It also makes it pretty evident when we have human spammers that manage to get onto the forum, so we can delete their spam and ban them. No need for that here.

Does that help?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

Ok, Yes that makes so much more sense now Emmac, thank you! and appps, I'm glad someone else other than me looks for colours rather than info :D
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

Makes sense on diaries. Don't see the need elsewhere though, but yeah on diaries I guess so.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com