Missing Info From Asia

Queries and feedback on how this site is run. No care questions.
Arachno-Anthrope
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 37
Total tanks: 0

Missing Info From Asia

Post by Arachno-Anthrope »

I've been looking through the site's Species -> Availability section and noticed that the site lacks a bit of info on species available in Asia. Being land hermit crab keeper living in Hong Kong, I thought I may be able to provide a little more info that the site may be able to use.

The most commonly available in Hong Kong are Coenobita rugosus. They're probably as abundant as Coenobita clypeatus is to the United States.

The much rarer ones are Coenobita perlatus and Coenobita brevimanus. So far, I've only found one store that sells C. perlatus. As for C. brevimanus, I found a pet store chain that sold a couple of them, but have long discontinued them since they kept dying on display (as you would expect from most pet stores). If it's any consolation, my brother found what he called a large coconut crab with a shell at a exotic pet store. I'm speculating it was a C. brevimanus, but I can only know for sure if I reach the crab on time.

Anyways I hope I have helped the site, even just a bit!
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Missing Info From Asia

Post by aussieJJDude »

I think the reason why this site doesn't have a lot of info from Asia is that there are not many Asians that joined this site.. :)

However, I found this a very interesting read and was surprised that you can't get blueberries...
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Well I'm currently living in Asia (crabbies are under the care of my brother-in-law and his wife), but I haven't seen any hermit crabs. I'm in Seoul, South Korea. I'll have to keep looking!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Hi Arachno-Anthrope, can you give me a list of stores in Hong Kong that do sell land hermit crabs? I visit Hong Kong at least once every two years to see relatives there, since I am of Hong Kong Chinese background.
Wai
Arachno-Anthrope
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 37
Total tanks: 0

Post by Arachno-Anthrope »

@aussieJJDude - Either it's uncommon in this part of Asia or I just don't know where to look. xD

@emmac350 - Good luck with the hunt! I might just be able to use the info if I ever go to South Korea.

@Wai - I don't remember the name of the stores, but I do know that they're commonly sold in the "Goldfish Market" in the Northern Side of Tung Choi Street in Mong Kok. The one store that sells Coenobita perlatus is in the middle of the Goldfish Market area.

You might want to try your luck in Wah Done Breeding Room in Tuen Mun (http://wahdone.com/). They mostly sell crustaceans and sometimes land hermit crabs. Last time I checked, they only sold ruggies. They import a lot of unique species you won't commonly find in other Hong Kong pet stores so they're still worth a look.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I do frequent the Goldfish Market area in Mong Kok when I am in Hong Kong. I have only been to Hong Kong in summer once; every other trip has been in winter. During the summer trip back in 2009 I saw Indos and straws too, but I haven't seen them since during winter. I did see ruggies in my last trip in November 2012 despite it being winter at the time; the poor things were in a bucket with shallow water in front of the store.

Since we both have an idea of what species are available in Hong Kong, I have updated the Species page accordingly. Check it out. :)
Wai