Nov 2010 - Feb 2011 Updates

Queries and feedback on how this site is run. No care questions.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Nov 2010 - Feb 2011 Updates

Post by Wai »

I decided to opt HCP out of the Hermit Crab Lovers webring. Some (but not all) of the sites in the webring were of poor quality or somewhat useless, so I didn't want this site to continue linking to them. Hermit Crab Paradise, along with the other sites that it links to, will continue providing valuable information to all land hermit crab owners.

I have also deleted the Crabbytitions and Online Meetings forum. I am either too busy or keep forgetting to regularly update such things unless I'm on holidays, so the database space would be better spent on more useful things such as hermit crab care posts. All Crabbytition entries from the past have been manually moved by me to the correct species album.

The news block on the home page of the main site has now been moved to the left panel.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Nov 2010 - Feb 2011 Updates

Post by ladybug15057 »

Great ideas and decisions Wai! Kudos to you!! :D
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

I'm thinking about rewriting the whole Crab Care section so that the information is presented in a series of Q&A format as opposed to bulky essay paragraph format. Does everyone like this idea?
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Like for example:
Do hermies need ocean/sea water? Then the complete info about ocean mixes as the answer?
http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... r/salt.php

Or like "What water/waters should I offer my hermies?
Then the:
http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... r/salt.php
http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... ources.php

for the answer?

Edited: This may mean less writing, but still permit for enough detail that newer members/crabbers would not be confused?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

It will be like:

How do I tell a male and female hermit crab apart?
Here I will write a detailed answer. Answers will be no less brief than existing ones.

On a separate note, I have opened up the new Research section to replace the old Links page.
Wai
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Good idea Wai.
I think that with those questions for headers then people can look for their specific issue and find their answer. Much more efficient searching. :)

Looking forward to seeing the updates!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Efficiency can now improve even more since I have installed our very own Google search box! It will automatically search for the keywords in our Crab Care section. You can give it a look here.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Wai, the one:
5 November 2004 [ Abstract Only ]
The morphology and vasculature of the respiratory organs of terrestrial hermit crabs (Coenobita and Birgus): gills, branchiostegal lungs and abdominal lungs.

Gives an error when clicked onto?
Sorry, your request could not be processed because the format of the URL was incorrect. Contact the Help Desk if the problem persists. [SD-001]

This is a good one for under “Research“…:
http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/s ... l?id=81631

And I added the above link to my posting on the CSJ flag ship too:

http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... 77&forum=4
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

I forgot to mention that the Research page has been updated accordingly to Marie's suggestion above.

The forum software has been updated to phpBB 3.0.8. This update is necessary for me to install the new gallery software, which will be fully integrated with phpBB (as opposed to running separately on Coppermine). The forum may again be inactivated by me once I get around to installing the new gallery (I won't do it now since it's almost 5 am here).

I have also restyled our logo for the forum alone, since the old one (which was exactly the same as the one on the main site) looked out of place here.

Edit:

I will now begin updating the Crab Care section. Once this task is complete, I will have a little surprise for everyone to serve as 2011's treat. :P
Wai