Love this site but...

Queries and feedback on how this site is run. No care questions.
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Love this site but...

Post by Chermo »

old threads like over 6 months old need to be locked so no comments can be further made but others can still read it. I am noticing that a lot of the newbies are looking and replying to very old threads like over 6 months old. I don't by any means mean this in a rude way but I am noticing that they are not reading when the thread was originally posted and commenting on them. I want them to be able to still read them but maybe not comment on old ones.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Re: Love this site but...

Post by Hermie's rule »

I agree. Unless you have something vital to add to the discussion that took place 6 months ago, then don't post on that thread. Topic necremony is never enjoyed. :D
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

To a degree this is true, especially if one is writing something such as "My hermie isn't moving please help" 6 months later, it is a bit late to reply. But by leaving some of the threads open, leaves for further discussion too with updated information. The crab care section is undergoing a major update, and many of the older threads here also contain outdated information. By leaving many of the thread open, this permits for updated info to be added as well. In the new forum rules it also asks to use the search feature prior to posting as well as reading FAQ's, crab care, etc. so this permits for when one searches to also read updated info.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

If the old threads were to be locked, it would have to be done manually. phpBB does have a feature that automatically deletes these old threads, but that's not a good idea.

I will be leaving for Hong Kong tomorrow morning and since I won't have to worry about working, I'll have more time to work on the crab care section.
Wai
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20

Post by Chermo »

I guess I should have been more clear when I said this, I really meant that the ones that people are asking about what they should do or saying my crab is digging, stuff like that maybe not the ones about care. I am noticing that a lot of the older threads like this are being replied to and sometimes just with a smily face or a mine did that too. It would have to be something that was gone through, I don't think they should be deleted just locked so that they can't respond anymore so the search feature will still be ok to use but they can't reply to them anymore just get the information they were looking for.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Thanks for being more clear chermo. But sometimes too when a forum is slow, some will post such things only to get the points/posts to see their ranks change. To a degree the rank system is good, it does make some members who normally would not post or add input, or their experiences to post. But then the draw back sometimes is for those who post as what you explained mainly for a higher rank position. So there really isn't too easy of a solution.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
cococrisp
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8

Post by cococrisp »

I totally agree. on some other forum at times it is less active and then people post on the older ones. I think it is especially because sometimes people want to rack up posts so they can become an elite member and use chat rooms or something like that and they can only do it after a certain amount of posts. I don't think this problem occurs on this sites but sometimes on others I think I have seen it done. Maybe they are just trying to help... But that is my theory. The thing I don't like is that it then goes to the top of the list and sometimes I don't want to say " problem solved" because then I will go all the way to the top of the emergency list and not have anything to say.
Jedi_Sena
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 55

Post by Jedi_Sena »

I kinda enjoy resurrecting old threads. When one of my old threads gets resurrected, it makes me feel like I created a helpful topic that lasts. Plus, it draws inactive members back to the site when their posts are still relevant.
Find out more about Crabotanicals all-natural hermit crab food here:
http://hermitcrabfoodtrials.blogspot.com/
visit our hermit crab care site:
http://freewebs.com/crabotanicals/
buy our products at:
http://crabotanicals.etsy.com/ and https://society6.com/crabotanicals