Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Painted Shell Woes

Post by Meraruu »

Greetings.

Background
I've been accessing this site, and a few others for a while after decided that hermit crabs were right for me. After a lot of heavy research, 3 months ago, I rescued two purple pinchers from a pet store with terrible living conditions, and I adopted a third from an older couple who bought a purple pincher as a gift for grandkids that didn't want them. All three were in painted shells covered in glue.

Issue
One of the painted shells is pealing, on the inside and out, and i'm highly concerned about it. I don't believe he was glued in, thankfully, as I gave them all a stresscoat bath before introduction and they dipped far out of their shells.
I've read on here that bathing shells in saltwater may help 'trick' crabs that they were worn by others and 'inspire' them to change. One of my crabs started changing in the first week and has happily decided on one. I think I need to get a few more slightly larger/smaller shells for my biggest hermie, and I just don't know what to do about the pealing shell, as I have the most variety in his size.

I know I cannot force them to change shells, and this adoptee has been in his shell with no other options of change for over two years before I got him, (also seems like he molted recently as his legs have sharp tips), but is there any other advice or ideas to prevent any mishaps with the paint glue shards?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Painted Shell Woes

Post by Wai »

You can try to peel off whatever paint you can, but the easiest way is to just offer plenty of opportunities to change shells as you mentioned. Try soaking the empty shells with some touch warm salt water.
Wai
Meraruu
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Post by Meraruu »

/cry

Thank you. I figured this was the case. =/ I've been trying to safe as I can pick at them, but hopefully he just picks another shell. I'll be getting some different kinds soon.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I gave them all a stresscoat bath before introduction and they dipped far out of their shells.
I've read on here that bathing shells in saltwater may help 'trick' crabs that they were worn by others and 'inspire' them to change.
It is good to give a bath when we first get them home. Many have been bathed/treated with antibiotics to kill bacteria, but not actually the best for the hermies. Several years ago it was suggested to use stresscoat, but for many years now it has been suggested to use a dechlorinator that removes heavy metals, chlorine, etc. out of tap water. Personally, I have used distilled water now for 10+ years and have been successful doing so. It is however very important to use a properly mixed ocean mix for the minerals they need that are lacking in the water.
I do not see which country yu are from? If from the U.S., yu may wish to offer plenty of turbo style lightweight shells.
Welcome to crabbing!!!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.