bugboy
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 1

E shells based on scientific research

Post by bugboy »

Been hoping to start an E colony in the spring and have been researching conditions, habitats and most importantly shells. Two good science based resources came up: Abrams, Peter. "Shell Selection and Utilization in a Terrestrial Hermit Crab, Coenobita Compressus (H. Milne Edwards)." Oecologia 34.2 (1978): 239-53. and Ball, E. E. 1972. Observations on the biology of the hermit crab, Coenobita compressus H. Milne Edwards (Decapoda; Anomura) on the west coast of the Americans. Revista de Biologica Tropical 20:265.
Using these sources and the internet I believe I have come up with a good list of shells. The list hat shell name, country of origin in parentheses and location where crabs used the shell if known.
Achatina spp. (Japanese land snail): (African in origin?) internet source.
Babylonia areolata- Areola/spotted Babylon (SE Asia; Philippines; Formosa; China?) internet source.
Babylonia japonica- Japanese Babylon (Korea; Japan; Taiwan?) internet source.
Babylonia spirata-spiral Babylon (Pakistan - Sri Lanka – Taiwan?) internet source.
Babylonia zeylanica-brown blotched (SE India?) internet source.
Cantharus melanostomus (Indian Ocean – Philippines) Internet source.
Cryptonartica affinis (accepted name. Cryptonatica affinis) - Arctic moonshell Circum-Arctic - Mediterranean; - California, USA; - N Carolina, USA; - Japan) Internet source.
Echinolittorina peruviana-periwinkle (Ecuador - Chile; Galápagos) this shell name came up when researching Littoraria zebra, looks promising.
Euspira lewisii (accepted name. Neverita lewisii)-Lewis’s moon snail (Vancouver Island, Canada - N Baja California, Mexico) Internet source.
Leucozonia cerata- waxy latirus (S Sea of Cortèz, W Mexico - Panama; Galápagos) the Naos Island Laboratories, located next to Panama City, laboratory research.
Littoraria zebra (not correct Littorina zebra) - zebra periwinkle (Pacific Costa Rica – Colombia) the Naos Island Laboratories, located next to Panama City, laboratory research; Bahia Solano, Columbia.
Melongena melongena- West Indian conch (NE Mexico - Colombia - Surinam; Antilles; Mid-Atlantic Ridge) internet source.
Nassarius dorsatus- channeled nassa (W Pacific): internet source.
Natica chemnitzii (Panama, Ecuador, probably scattered throughout the Pacific); came up when researching shells in area of C. compressus.
Natica lineata (accepted name. Tanea lineata) (N Indian Ocean - Japan & W Australia) internet source.
Natica stellate- stellate sand snail (Australia; Indo-W Pacific) Internet source.
Nerita funiculata (Baja California, Mexico - N Peru; Galápagos) the Naos Island Laboratories, located next to Panama City, laboratory research; Bahia Tenacatita Jalisco, Mexico.
Nerita scabricosta- Ornate nerite (Baja California, Mexico - Peru; Galápagos) the Naos Island Laboratories, located next to Panama City, laboratory research; Straights between Islas Gorgona and Gorgonilla, Columbia; Bahia Solano, Columbia; ; Isle Montuosa, Panama; Area of Islas Negritos and Cedros, Golfo de Nicoya, Costa Rica; Bahia Tenacatita Jalisco, Mexico.
Neverita didyma-ball moon shell (SE Africa - W Pacific) internet source.
Phasianella australis- Australian pheasant, painted lady, and pheasant snail (W - SE Australia; Tasmania)
Internet source.
Plicopurpura patula –widemouth rockshell (SE Florida, USA; West Indies; Mid-Atlantic Ridge) Straights between Islas Gorgona and Gorgonilla, Columbia: Bahia Solano, Columbia; Bahia Tenacatita Jalisco, Mexico; the Naos Island Laboratories, located next to Panama City, laboratory research
Polinices duplicatus (accepted name Neverita duplicate) - shark’s eye (Massachusetts, USA - Yucatán, Mexico; Bahamas) Salinas and vicinity, Ecuador (small percentage usage).
Solenosteira fusiformis (Panama – Peru) the Naos Island Laboratories, located next to Panama City, laboratory research
Thais haemostoma (accepted name. Stramonita biseriatus) - rock shell Baja California, Mexico- Chile, Galapagos) Salinas and vicinity, Ecuador; Punta Galera, Ecuador; Bahia Tenacatita Jalisco, Mexico.
Thais melones (accepted name. Vasula melones) - gourd rock shell (Pacific Mexico - Peru; Galápagos) Salinas and vicinity, Ecuador; Punta Galera, Ecuador; Straights between Islas Gorgona and Gorgonilla, Columbia; Bahia Solano, Columbia; ; Isle Montuosa, Panama; Area of Islas Negritos and Cedros, Golfo de Nicoya, Costa Rica.
Thais mutabilis (accepted name. Indothais lacera)-carinate rock shell (Durban Bay, Rep. South Africa - Red Sea - S E Asia; E Mediterranean?) Internet source.
Thais orbita (accepted name. Dicathais orbita) - cart-rut whelk (W - SE Australia; N New Zealand?) Internet source.
Thais speciosus (accepted name. Vasula speciosus) - rock shell (Baja California, Mexico - Peru; Galápagos) Area of Islas Negritos and Cedros, Golfo de Nicoya, Costa Rica; Bahia Tenacatita Jalisco, Mexico.
Turbo fluctuosus- Mexican turbo shell (Baja California, Mexico-Peru, Galapagos) Salinas and vicinity, Ecuador.
Turbo saxosus-stony turbo (Panama- Peru) Salinas and vicinity, Ecuador; Punta Galera, Ecuador; Straights between Islas Gorgona and Gorgonilla, Columbia; Bahia Solano, Columbia; Isle Montuosa, Panama; Area of Islas Negritos and Cedros, Golfo de Nicoya, Costa Rica; Bahia Tenacatita Jalisco, Mexico.

bugboy2

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: E shells based on scientific research

Post by emmac350 »

This is a good list but keep in mind that your crabs may surprise you. My Es all skipped almost every shell type they're supposed to like and went for turbos every time.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Agree with above, have a variety of shell types and you can't go wrong. The hardest thing that many find about E's is their willingness to change shells, so if they come in "bad condition" (through adoption/purchase) i wish the best in trying to get them to change shells. If possible, ask crabbers who have unwanted shells for theirs as they might be "modified" which helps getting/interests them to change shells.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree. I have one hermie Squirmy who will not live in anything but the Natica shell! All our others have moved into light weight turbo's. Not all turbo's have the round opening, some do have more of an oval opening and that is the one's they have moved into.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
bugboy
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 1

Post by bugboy »

I agree as well but also think with the exotic species, it's always better to choose shells from their native home range. These crabs are adapted physically to use the shells that are found in their native environments. It's the crabs choice but we are obligated to find the appropriate shell species. I'm more than happy to spend $6.00 on a tiny Turbo saxosus from the native E range.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

EEks! That's a lot of $$$$. And I thought back when $8 was a lot for my jumbo turbo's! But it does make sense to a degree. Possibly why Squirmy was the was she was with her shell? But the largest I could find a few years ago was a one inch opening. So she has chosen the turbo as well.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.