Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Deltona Seashells AUS?

Post by Ginger »

Hi all,
Was doing a bit of reading on some other sites and found that Deltona seashells are quite popular. I then found some mentions of it here on the search function, but all the posts seem to be from the Americans. I had a quick look at their site, and it did not say anything about shipping to Australia, so added one item to my cart and checked the shipping amount for my postcode which apparently... Is not live shipping at this time... But then I found "STATE/PROVINCE ADDRESS FIELD) - FOR COUNTRIES OTHER THAN USA & CANADA PLEASE SELECT: ----NONE---- FOUND UNDER THE CANADIAN PROVINCES. THIS INFORMATION IS REQUIRED FOR INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS TO COMPLETE THEIR ORDER ONLINE." so obviously it does do international shipping, but AUS has known to be special on occasions :D does anyone have info on this?
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: Deltona Seashells AUS?

Post by appps »

Had to google it then discovered deltona shells are a supplier not a type of shell lol

Have you tried crazy crabs? He is the one gets the crabs so he has access to the shells they like.
http://crazycrabs.com.au/product/spare- ... t-painted/

I would suggest though you see if you can specify the type of shell you want as I did get a few they really have never touched.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Thanks appps, yes I have tried with those guys. I emailed/called/organised etc. but they did not have any large shells apart from 1 turbo and several tuns (the bane of my life!)

Edit to Add:
Ok, so after many emails, I finally got this sorted! The "live shipping is down" was because I entered a Australian postcode - zip codes are American (I always thought they were the same thing! *rolls eyes*) so you would have to go through with part of an order to see the shipping... Which is what I did, however it only came up with priority shipping - BECAUSE my order was over 4 pounds (1.8kg), AUS needs higher class shipping for some odd reason... Anyway, because the shipping is quite pricy, I will be most likely be getting a ton (not literally) of shells for my birthday. Will keep this up to date hopefully.

Edit to Add:
Ok! So I ordered my shells on priority mail (2-3 days but international customers 2-3 weeks) and received them in 1 1/2. They were packed in a cardboard box, each of the types of shells in plastic ziplock bags wrapped in newspaper. The remaining space was stuffed with newspaper also and the base had a lining of foam pieces. The shells are AMAZING. They are all in near perfect condition, clean and exactly what I wanted. I boiled the whole lot of them for 10mins each and all are good. 2 of my crabs had changed within the first night - YAY! Very happy, will probably order from them again. See this link for picture of my entire collection (most from Deltona): gallery/image_page.php?nomobile=1&album ... &sd=d&st=0
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Those look great! Which shells have you found your crabs prefer? I love the bright color of the turbos against the mostly-neutral rest of your lot.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Thanks Emmac! Very interested to discuss shell preferences as I got a pretty big surprise here. I KNOW - I would love some nice brightly coloured turbos amongst my lot but Polly was the only one liking them, being in green and tapestrys. I actually bought the turbos in thought of having a supply to last her a long time but the little bugger went and changed into a helicostyla (the red long twirled ones off to the right - land snail) which leads me on to saying that ALL three of my little guys changed into helicostylas the first night I put them in. I seriously thought they would have rejected them because of the extra space they hold but hey, they love to surprise us! Secondly, I would like to point out to Aussie crabbers that:

*THERE ARE DIFFERENT TYPES OF BABYLONIA SHELLS*

My gosh, I always wanted my crabs to wear a Babylonia, and I had a great supply of the Spriata kind which sort of overlap as they go round. I bought some Aerolatas which as they go round are more in line with each lap, they are MUCH lighter and have different patterning. I now have had two crabs look into the Aerolata kind - Halleujah!

Other than that, my big guy spent a lot of time agonising over the larger land snail shells (the big colourful ones off to the right) but he has decided to stay in his too-small shell stubborn thing and the Pila Globassas seem to be a hit also (aka. Mini land snails)
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

Good collection. Mine are fussy damn things, only ones they seem to like from those are the seven towards the top left. Arghhhh lol

Just an FYI too for others buying shells etc from the US, i noticed this the other day. If you have someone in the us won't post overseas here is a way round it. Gives you a US address then you pay the shipping from there to here. https://shopmate.auspost.com.au
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Great link, thanks appps! I have NEVER had any of my crabs even look at a Rapana (the ones you are specifying) but I don't have any small versions of these, so maybe the small crabs would have different preferences.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

Wish mine were like yours, they aren't exactly the prettiest shells of the bunch!

Oh and it's my biggest ones like them.
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Thanks appps, I know - Aussie crabs generally don't seem to like pretty shells! OK, I will keep them in mind.