Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Question on shells

Post by Gizaroo »

Hey all. I just realized I need to get some larger shells for blu and banjo.
I can't seem to find any whales eye shells with openings larger than an inch. Both of them seem to love these type of shells, so what are some other options?

The largest shells I have right now have openings of one inch...and they are occupying them, with the spare few I have being in the tanks.

Thanks!
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: Question on shells

Post by Purple pinchers »

Did you check on ebay?

I have found a few 1 and 1/2 inch whales eye shells on ebay about a week ago.

Edit: I found some 1 and 1/2 inch shark eye on ebay not sure if they are the same as whales eyes but thought i would just let you know.
*Pack Rat*
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

Yea, they're the same. I have several 1.5 in shells, but the openings are only an inch. Both of the hermies clearly want shells with openings bigger than that...as they have picked the 3 shells that have openings that size or bigger....I can't seem to find whales/shark eye shells with openings bigger than an inch.

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II

Well found some 2 inch ones at some online craft store, but it does not say how big the openings are...
*Pack Rat*
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

I need to go look at some craft stores...yea I can never find the shell openings on half the stuff.

The 2 big ones I just purchased cost me over 6 bucks between the 2 of them...one of which, a Japanese Snail (i think) shell, Blu is sporting around now. It came from Pet Supplies Plus. I hate paying that much for them...

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85

Post by CrabbyJo »

I agree, they are expensive. Check ebay and search the seller glassreign. I haven't shopped from her for probably a year now, but she sells a lot of different shells in small batches for very low prices, and will combine shipping if you order more than one batch. I'm talking $1.50-$4.00 for a batch of 3 to 5 shells, and her shipping is very reasonable as well, only a couple of dollars. She lists the sizes of the openings.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II

I found this website with a few shells they say they get more in like every week.

http://elsshells.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

The shells are cheap but dont know what shipping is.
*Pack Rat*
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

On the right of El's page, she has this about shipping:

http://elsshells.com/index.php?main_pag ... 90dae4e4a9

Usually one can add things to their cart and make it to the end and find out s/h charges prior to giving out their account info.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

CrabbyJo wrote:I agree, they are expensive. Check ebay and search the seller glassreign. I haven't shopped from her for probably a year now, but she sells a lot of different shells in small batches for very low prices, and will combine shipping if you order more than one batch. I'm talking $1.50-$4.00 for a batch of 3 to 5 shells, and her shipping is very reasonable as well, only a couple of dollars. She lists the sizes of the openings.

Thanks guys!

Haha, I actually have bought from her before, looking back at my history on ebay!

Found a couple Tapestry Turbos I think I'm going to order to try out.

Blu has changed into the huge green turbo shell I had in the tank and seems quite comfy in that. The snail shell was a little too big for her haha

D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 3

Post by D'sCrabs »

http://www.wagnerssouthernstore.com/

This is who I used to get alot of shells from, I got like 30 shells for like 16 bucks that was including delivery.. And I called them and talk to them a bit before I ordered about what I needed so he made sure my lot had atleast some of what i needed in it for me, and all the shells were usable.. Hope this helps..