Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 1

Crab making water dish it's shell!!

Post by Mim »

It seems my newly molted crab has made his special water dish his shell!!
Any ideas on how to get him into an actual shell??? I have placed him in a separate small tank with a few shells but he ain't budging!!! Stubborn little bugger he us!!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Crab making water dish it's shell!!

Post by Wai »

Try slipping him into a shell with some salt water manually. Keep the air very humid.
Wai
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

Thanks... Just found instructions on how to do it... Hope it wont stress him too much!!
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

I have popped him into a shell but he seems really stressed... Have put him in iso.. Will keep you posted...
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

Naked again this morning... He's sitting in his water dish...
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Sometimes trying to put them into a shell will stress them further. I have done a reply on another post you have done...
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

That's what I thought.. Wai suggested it.. Tried.. Unfortunately he just died...
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

Oops... He didn't... Left him alone & he has moved!! Wow!! Not getting my hopes up, but it's a start!!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Don't try putting him in a shell again if he insists crawling out. If your temperature and humidity are fine, it's possible that he feels too lethargic and unwell to carry the shell with him. At this stage, as you said, I wouldn't put my hopes up either, but anything is worth trying to make him recover.

Do you have some spirulina powder? It is rich in protein, so he can break it down into amino acids and then make new proteins/enzymes out of them to improve his bodily functions. Honey can be used to slow down the growth of harmful bacteria. It also contains some glucose, which he may be able to use as energy.

I wish there were medicines out there for hermit crabs. Unfortunately there has been no formal research in this area, so if there is a chance that he will die at any moment now, anything is worth a try. I doubt he will be able to recover fully without intervention. Even if he recovers now, there is still a chance that he will drop his shell again months later and end up in the same state he is in now.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I'm happy I woke to a new day to read that he is still with you! Pure 100% natural honey is a very good suggestion! This has been known to help others in the past. (won't get into long story)
Mim, as suggested on the other forum, please do ditch the human grade (?) ocean/sea mix you are using for one that is sold specifically for salt water tanks. (Wai being from Aus. would know more about this salt...)
http://www.saltworks.us/pure-ocean-natu ... -salt.html

Please also try to make a lower substrate temp as well as keeping the 26* C temp. Being cold blooded creatures they do need the variable to regulate their body temp.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.