Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 1

Too much shell changing?

Post by jacevy »

I've had my guys for 4 days.
I know they are still very very new and are probably still stressed but I wanted some advice regarding one of my hermies constantly changing shells.

It came home in a long shell that looked really really heavy. I supplied 6 extra shells in the tank. 1 is the same shape as the original shell but the others are the classic snail shape.

Since coming home it just sits in the area I have put the shells and changes in and out of 3 shells constantly. It will investigate a shell for 2 or 3 minutes and then move in to it. Then 5 minutes later it is in the shell area again looking over another shell.

I presume this means that the shell isn't right for it. Should I buy some more shells? Are some crabs just shell crazy and like to change a lot? (Seriously this crab must change 30 times a day). If I do need to buy more shells what shape should I buy? The 5 extra snail looking shells have holes that are slightly bigger and smaller than the original.

I'm worried the crab is going to be getting more and more stressed. I'm also worried that if I go out and buy 10 more shells it wont like any of them either.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Too much shell changing?

Post by CrabbyJo »

It does sound like your hermie is pretty unhappy with his original shell or I think he would return to it if the others were unsatisfactory.
Yes, I'm afraid you may have to go buy some more shells. Try to find turbo shells that aren't too heavy, but aren't too light either.
Did you boil the shells before you put them in the tank with him?
I also worry that he may have something irritating his abdomen, which is very soft and delicate. Perhaps if you take out the shells you have, boil them for 3 or 4 minutes in dechlorinated water, cool them down and pour out the water, then spritz them with some ocean salt water, he might find one more comfortable.

All you can do is try, and you would not BELIEVE the number of shells I have bought! :)
I buy mine on ebay since there really is no local retailer with shells suitable for hermies in my area.
Let us know how it goes!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.