Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 1

How Often?

Post by PepperAnn15 »

Hello,

I am a new Crab mommy to 5 crabs all between small to mid sized shells. (we started with 6, but we lost hulk yesterday :( )

We bought them from a kiosk in a mall (I know; what was i thinking, believe me I feel like an idiot after we got home and started reseraching, but I wanted a small pet that my special needs 6 year old could handle and help take care of in addition to our dog and they called out to me) The "expert" in the kiosk was a complete moron and was wrong in everything he told us! Anyways they are here, we love them and want to ensure we are taking the best care of them.

They of course came in painted Shells, and we were given an additional Painted shell of the same size for each crab. we named the crabs according to their designs...

Murray... is the only one whom regularily switches.. he goes back and forth between his mermaid shell and a football. after reading how horrible painted shells were I went and purchased half a dozen natural shells, he has tried on a few but always goes back to the mermaid or football. so question 1 is should i remove the painted shells as the leave them? or just leave whats their and never buy painted again?

Peter... painted like spiderman has also been seen trying on a natural shell but switched right back. I only seen this once

Casper, Jenson & Bella, Have never switched shells that I can tell and bella's shell is peeling. i have taken as much paint off as possible to not disturb her and pick up any paint sheddings... but so far she has no interest in Changing!

Is it normal for them to not change, is it normal for murray to be so curious, is their an art to providing shells? I notice the painted ones that came with them were extreamly heavy and the natural are lighter...

also at the store there seemed to be a huge diference between a medium shell and a Large shell... is their a website I can order natural shells of all shapes and sizes?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: How Often?

Post by Wai »

Give them some more time, but personally I would take out the painted shells as soon as they changed out of them as long as they don't streak afterwards.

There are lots of shops online that sell shells, such as Florida Shells & Gifts on eBay.
Wai
PepperAnn15
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65

Post by PepperAnn15 »

I just lost murray, same fate and now bella just dropped a leg walking along... I calibrated last night and was shocked to find it was out I stoped the crab food and put in fresh since my first post...

Should I put them into the salt right away? Like a bath? Do I mist with the saltwater or freshwater... I feel so panicked I really dont want to lose them all...

I have a heat lamp to ensure the temp stays between 70-80. Most Nights I turn this off and the hot side will drop to 72 by morning... should i have a timer?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

You should have a thermostat to control the heat lamp, not a timer. It is possible that the temperature drops to dangerous levels between the night and the next morning.

You don't need to throw them all into the salt water pond. Just leave the pond in there and they will check it out themselves. Spray the tank with fresh water, not salt water.
Wai
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Yoiks nevermind! I see you posted about your little guys in another thread.

As for shells, I buy mine on ebay from a user named Glassreign. She sells small lots, and if you buy more than one lot, she combines them and reduces the shipping. YOu can get a lot of nice and different shells for cheap from her.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.