Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 2

crab modifying his shell

Post by Natatat »

Hi all :D
have any of you noticed your crabs modifying their shells?
One of my crabs has spent over an hour moding his shell, I have heard of this but never seen it happening before, most of the shells mine came in when I bought/rescued them were heavily modified.
I posted a pic in my personal gallery so you can check it out, I should of filmed it.....next time.
aka Nat_addicted to HC's http://www.ihavecrabs.com.au
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: crab modifying his shell

Post by ladybug15057 »

During our first couple months of crabbing we saw this quite a bit. They would also eat parts that they took off too. Have you noticed that? I began to feed the crushed oyster shells and this slowed WAY down. Only on rare occasions on the last few years will a hermie modify his/her shell.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Natatat
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Natatat »

Ive had my crabs for ages and its the first time Ive seen it, yes he did eat the bits even though I provide crushed oyster shell, before he changed into this conch he was a serial shell shopper so Ive been enthralled with his behavior, he's been at it again today too.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Do you offer other calcium sources? This is another reason why one should offer only natural shells to hermies. If there is paint or the little glitter/decorations they will consume that as well. :(
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Natatat
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Natatat »

my boys and girls have cuttle fish available constantly, egg shell - powdered and crumbs with food rotated and crushed oyster shell. they are very spoiled.....
I have no painted or glittered shells, all of mine a completely natural. Your are so right, painted shell could be consumed very easily.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

WOW you do offer plenty of calcium. Same with these ones here, but must just be something about that ole 'natural' calcium from home? ;)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

He probably wasn't feeling calcium deprived, but didn't want to waste the calcium from the shell haha. Most of my hermit crabs have modified their shells too just to chip away some space where the shell meets their eyes.
Wai