emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Shells for Giant Crabs

Post by emmac350 »

I didn't think I was going to have to worry about shells that big yet either. But I talked to my sister and she said that Spaz has been trying out new shells (he's not a try outer - he's a 'change once and keep it' sort of crab - hates shopping for shells) and hasn't been able to find any that look like they fit - even his African turbo shell (biggest I had) that used to fit him fine apparently looks too small. It was somewhere between 1.75 and 2 inches opening-wise. Every single one of my crabs has gone up at least one size in shell since my sister took my crabs in June 2010. I bought her a bunch of 2" opening shells for the crabs for Christmas, but Spaz will likely take one of them as soon as he resurfaces (we think he's molting) and that will be the biggest shell she'll have for him. (Does that even make sense? I feel like I'm writing a lot of run-ons today.)
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Makes sense to me! I too have found that as one looks down in the shell the whole gets smaller. (DOH!) I have a few who are in reality in shells larger than what I think they need. Oh my let me try to explain this one:
The large pincher should seal off the opening of the shell. (going to explain 1 hermies situation)
When he walks only his eye stalks are out and I can see almost the middle joint of his legs. He gets around fine, but when he retracts into the shell, he's down in almost a 1/2 inch. But his large pincher does seal off the hole 'within' the shell. I have turbos that would fit his whole body better, but possibly his little bottom is larger than what the smaller shells permit for?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

That's how my Rack is - he moved from a shell with a .25" opening to one with a .5" opening. I mean, really? You can't see him when he pulls back, he's so tiny! But he loves that shell to death - he's worn it ever since Rocky switched out of it. Spaz does like his shells a little bigger - or at least, that's how it looks to me. His legs and claws didn't look too big for the shell the last time I saw him. But his backside - I haven't seen that, so maybe it is a bit big for his current shell?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

I am so thankful i found this post -.- im in the same situation i just got 2 jumbos desperately in need of a shell the one is tennis ball sized the other a little bit smaller. I really need some help finding shells too. I can get pics up if you need them but please help asap hes going to be molting very soon aswell ( larger one) . He dried the salt water and is very white/ashy dry on top and is startin to dig 8|
-thanks so much again hermie_lover3542
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Best place to find large shells is online, and they are quite expensive too.
No need for pictures? Measure the opening of the shell and being they are large hermies chances are they are PP's, that seem to mostly prefer the turbo shells.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

Thanks so much for that ladybug I did some more searching and found a couple places, the only trouble is that the way the tell you the size is buy length rather than opening? :S But I also found some shells as well they are 2 pp's that need 2.5 openings
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Here is the way to measure the shell, it should be done by the shell opening:
http://www.naplesseashellcompany.com/sizematters.html

Naples sells per the 'hole' opening instead of the shell as a 'whole':
http://www.naplesseashellcompany.com/he ... hells.html

Sea shell city:
http://www.seashellcity.com/crabs/crabshells_1.html

El's shells:
http://elsshells.com/index.php?main_pag ... 64dbe27e2a

Edited to add, and even with the higher cost of the shells in reality they are less expensive for the 'typical' sized shells. So paying the s/h charges it about evens itself out. I use to order enough to make the s/h worth it.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

And here I am thinking I need to start picking up more shells. I am realizing my PP's are all bigger than most of the shells I have, and they really have almost none now that are larger than the ones they are wearing! Well there are some, but I don't think they like them.
Time to shop and spend some real money. It's hard to buy those expensive ones when you don't even know if they will look twice at them, let alone wear them. :S
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Oh this is so true CrabbyJo! King Crab (the oyster shell death) stayed in her shell for 2 years and could not pull into her shell. This was during our early years and I went into a panic mode. I bought the then high dollar shells...(were $3.98 but now sell for almost $12) 8| Made it worth my while, I ordered for the Jumbos too so order consisted of about 50 shells or so. (1.25-2.5 inch openings) Well I still have them and rotate them.
Back on track....
The only thing King Crab did was crawl over them to get to the food an water dishes! :(
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

lol Marie!
I think I'm going to look on ebay and see if I can find some "lots" of larger shells. I think Marvin, my largest, will only need about a 1 1/4" opening, but he does look comfy in the shell he's in, and it looks like it will fit him a bit longer, unless he decides to molt again and grow a bit more. He doesn't look that much bigger since his last molt, but it's hard to tell any more - everyone around him is getting bigger too! My E's have grown so fast, it's amazing. Those little guys don't stay small long!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.