Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Removing paint from shell

Post by Wai »

I have two shells that have been painted in a different way. I am guessing that the paint on the two shells has been sprayed on, because this type of paint is thin, not like the usual thick, hand-painted type. I don't have the shells in the tank, but they don't have an odour. How do I remove this type of paint?
Wai
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Seems like no-one knew... but fear no more! I've found a way to remove it. I used the same method with the other painted shells, but I had to leave these two in the hot water for a much longer period. After doing this and taking the shells out of the water, I noticed that they had lost some colour.

The next day, I dumped the two painted shells into hot water again. Then again I took them out, and let them dry off.

On the third day, I dumped the two painted shells into the hot water. After taking them out, I noticed that bits of the paint was chipping off. That's when I got my tools out, and started scratching bits of the paint off. And I found out that this type of paint was much more harder to remove than the other type of paint. I found the plastic sticks used to dip into the cheese when you eat a packet of crackers very useful. I also tried icy-pole sticks, but the edges of them soon worn out after a while. I'll post this info on the shells page then! :D
Wai