crabcrazygal
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 2

placment of shells in tank

Post by crabcrazygal »

i was just wondering if it is better to have a shell shop, or have the shells scattered around the tank, or if it doesnt really matter.
crabs:bino, junior,kim, and vixen
dogs: ella, shannon
cats:milo, poppy
and two budgies: romeo and big bird
Rip: HOMER(who was actually a girl so i re named him marge)RIP kath hyper and hazel.
only boring people get bored :)
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Re: placment of shells in tank

Post by emmac350 »

It's personal preference. Some people scatter them so the crabs are more likely to find them and try them on. I do 2 shell shops (one on the ground, one on an upper level) and a lot of my crabs very intentionally go to check it out every time they come out at night. It's really where you would like it. If you do a shell shop and you're worried your crabs aren't finding the shells, you can pick them up and put them in the shop - they'll get all excited for the shells they find!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I have the shells here on the sand around where the large ponds are. This way if they change the water is nearby to start making their 'mixtures' within their shells. With the small hermies and larger ones we have here, the little shells would fall to the bottom of the selection if in a basket or such and I am not sure how or if a hermie will go digging when or if they needed a shell. This way being wide open they can also just change for fun.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
crabcrazygal
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 30

Post by crabcrazygal »

ok thanks :)
i am now going to put my shells into two groups, and put them at either end of the tank :)
crabs:bino, junior,kim, and vixen
dogs: ella, shannon
cats:milo, poppy
and two budgies: romeo and big bird
Rip: HOMER(who was actually a girl so i re named him marge)RIP kath hyper and hazel.
only boring people get bored :)