Hole on top of the shell?

Questions about designing a terrarium.
onemoreparadise
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2

Hole on top of the shell?

Post by onemoreparadise »

A few days ago my crab switched shells. I didn't notice it when I put the shell in there but there is a small hole just at the top of the shell. I don't know if it's safe or not but I'm just wondering. it's very small and I would think if it was bothering him that he'd switch out of it since there are plenty of shells the same size in the tank. So could it just not be a big deal since it seems to not be bothering him?
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Hole on top of the shell?

Post by CrabbyJo »

Since it is in the top, it probably won't bother him much, other than the possibility that the humidity level in the shell may not stay stable for him.
As long as he has a nice deep fresh dechlor water dish he can submerge in, and a decent salt water dish so he can dip his shell in if he needs to, I would think he would be alright. Just make sure your tank humidity is also within the 70-80% range as well.

If it were me, I'd be looking for some other shell options for him and hope he changes. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
onemoreparadise
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2

Re: Hole on top of the shell?

Post by onemoreparadise »

Yeah, I got my tank to hold the perfect amount of heat and humidity. I guess it must not be bothering him much. There are plenty of shells in there and he seems to be fine. Big appitite and he's very energetic just like before. Thank you for reassuring me. I just want the little guy safe.