roxanne
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 2

My crab changed into a smaller..

Post by roxanne »

My crab changed into a smaller shell the same day i brought him home that is far to small for him, he only just fits in it 8| and the shell he left he could fit perfect in , just wanted to know what would motivate him to do so. thanks XD
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Re: My crab changed into a smaller..

Post by emmac350 »

Crabs change shells sometimes for reasons we don't understand - this doesn't mean that his new shell is bad for him. Lots of crabs, before they molt, will change to a smaller shell because bigger ones are harder to dig in and after they molt they are smaller until they finish hardening. That could be why he changed. Or maybe he really hated his shell - maybe something was in it poking his abdomen, or maybe it was too thick/thin for his tastes. Crabs all have their own preferences about shells and while we may not be happy with it, it's not our tummies in the shell!

If you want to encourage him to change shells, you can try rinsing your shells in ocean water and don't completely dry it out inside - this can sometimes get even the most stubborn crabs to change shells.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
roxanne
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 20

Re: My crab changed into a smaller..

Post by roxanne »

I dont mind what shell my hermies choose to live in as long as there ok and comfortable and that the shell they choose wont be detremental to their health, :) I had a closer look at the shell he left tonight and in the crease at the bottom there is a hair line crack thats realy small, maybe he didnt like the shell for this reason. thanks