My hermit crab changed it shells and then changed back.

Questions about designing a terrarium.
freyabecca
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

My hermit crab changed it shells and then changed back.

Post by freyabecca »

I woke up this morning and I noticed that my hermit crab had changed its shell. I went to work and when I came home my hermit crab had switched back to his old shell. Has this happened to anyone else? I think the shell might have been too large for him..

I am a new Hermit Crab owner. I bought two on Sunday!
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: My hermit crab changed it shells and then changed back.

Post by emmac350 »

Crabs will 'try on' new shells just like you and I try on shoes at the store. If the shell doesn't fit right, is too thick (too warm on their abdomens), too big, or just not how they want it, they'll go back to the last one they were wearing as it is the closest shell to being right for them. They're always on the lookout for new shells.

Welcome to the site and welcome to crabbing! I recommend you take a look at the crab care section here as there is a lot of new information that no pet store will ever tell someone buying crabs about.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.