CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Never Gone Back In Shell?

Post by CrabbyJo »

Yep I did have PP get into a shark eye shell (like you pictured, SaltandPepper) but he quickly changed out of it within a few hours. My PP's always choose the turbos, even though I have a large selection with sharkeye's and Babylonias as well as the turbos. I am going to buy more turbos, because whenever I boil out the shells (To make them "new" to the crabs again) someone always seems to change!
I've lost track of who is who, mostly. I have 4 PPs all about the same size, who have molted (so who are a little paler, they haven't had enough color enhancing food since I got them) so are close to the same color lol. The only one I can tell who it is for sure is Boober, because he lost a leg in a swimming accident. :) That's a joke, but he did. hehe.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

I currently have a PP in a cancelaria shell (looks like this and an opening like this) that he's been for over 6 months now. I have turbos of his size out, but he seems to like that shell.

I've actually never had a PP change into a turbo (one new PP is in a turbo at the moment, but that's the closest I've had), but all of my Es are in round opening shells - one's in a round opening brown shell of some sort, one's in a green turbo, one's in an orange turbo, one's in a stripey turbo-shaped shell that he came in. Leave it to my crabs to defy all the rules. :S
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

lol awesome Emma. I just saw a PP at the pet store today in a shell much like that - not sure because I picked up a hidey to peek at him and an E that was next to him and they were disturbed and I felt bad. I just found it interesting he was in a D shaped shell, and I wanted to bring him home! Both of them actually. They were both beautiful.
Aw heck all crabs are beautiful to me now lol.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Haha, I'm the same way, CrabbyJo! I get so mad when I recognize the shape of a beautiful shell under the paint too...seems they love painting babylonia shells...and those shells are AWESOME.

Then again, my Es in the round shells all pull back fully in, and their legs fit the round openings fine. I know they're supposed to prefer the D openings because of their abdomen shape, but you'd think that their legs/claws would fit the D openings better?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.