anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

Sharpie on inside of shell!

Post by anniehorsekrab »

OK, so when I went to PetSmart to get a replacement shell, all of them were fine, but they had sharpie on the inside of them, writing what size they were, like mine had an M for Medium inside it. It was very annoying! I'm probably going to order them online from now on (if that's cheaper) rather than have a petstore stupidly care for them. But, for the time being, is there a way to remove Sharpie from shells? I REALLY want to put this shell in there, since they've been on a mad shell-changing spree (as you know if you've read my journal) so is there a quick and easy way to get that Sharpie off??? :(
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Sharpie on inside of shell!

Post by ladybug15057 »

Even the permanent sharpie markers eventually will rub off which is not good. Why on earth would anybody mark on the inside of a shell?? Ocean water is known to be a corrosive, try wiping the marked area well with a paper towel dipped in ocean water.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Oops, forgot you have the glub ocean water, or did you buy a regular ocean salt today?
If not try boiling then rubbing the inside of the shell.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by anniehorsekrab »

I don't have the glub ocean water, but yes, I'll try that, thanx! :)
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

If you have a regular crystal type ocean/sea mix, try dampening a paper towel with dechlor water. Dip that into the crystal ocean granules and rub this on the marker area. This should almost work like sand paper and remove the marker.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by anniehorsekrab »

OK, thanks! I'll definitely try that soon.
~Annie

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

As soon as I read your post, Marie, it reminded me of a way to clean the stained inside of coffeepot parts that are hard to get - rock salt and an ice cube. The ice cube will push the rock salt into the stain, scraping it off.

Sorry, it's off-topic, but I just thought I'd share. :)

Also, yes, ebay is my favorite place to buy shells. :)
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Ebay is my favorite place to buy shells, too! That and er I think I bought some from the Crabbage Patch, which I was very happy with.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by Chermo »

I always buy my shells from the hermit crab patch (formally known as the crabbage patch). I love their shells and their service. :D :D :D
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009